PDA

View Full Version : Free Mantis Shrimp

Bashiba
08/24/2001, 10:47 PM
I have a free Mantis if anybody close by wants one. I would Hate to kill the little guy, and my LFS wants nothing to do with it. I live in Clinton, Iowa about 1/2 hour from the IL/IA Quad Cities and about 2-3 hours from Chicago. Sorry pick up only. If interested you can email me at bradbalk@home.com
Thanks
Brad

Agu
08/25/2001, 02:05 AM
Brad,
[welcome]

Do you travel in the region to catch mantis shrimp? If so please feel free to visit me anytime :D :D

Agu

ISFRAEL
08/27/2001, 09:30 PM
hi bashiba

i would take it off your hands but it might not be very economical seeing as i live in australia. $2000 or so for a mantis might not be a good idea!

judo1
09/12/2001, 12:33 PM
ooh, ooh.... I want him! I just built a tank, just for a Mantis, but I live about 12 hours away, in Northern Mississippi :(

Bashiba
09/14/2001, 12:17 AM
Email me if you are still interested Judo1 I am considering trying to ship him since no one locally wants him. He is the common looking brown one about 1inch long, not the cool looking green one.
Bashiba

judo1
09/14/2001, 07:04 PM
still interested!
:D

cat23
09/17/2001, 07:21 PM
I have one of the green ones. I've heard hime and been looking for him for 6 months now. Finally saw him today. He's in a tank that I've been putting urchins in that came off live rock.

He's the green one. Quite a rock hider! Don't really want him but guess I got him. I've got a blue damsel in there too!

judo1
09/17/2001, 08:33 PM
cat, no chance of shipping him off, eh? :p

cat23
09/17/2001, 09:32 PM
Judo,

He's living in a piece of rock. I've only seen him once. He just leaped out and grabbed a piece of squid, then ran back so fast into a hole. I guess living in there anyhow. I'm going to have to keep an eye on that piece just to be sure he's living there. Probably the only way to send him would be rock and all to be sure, since he neer comes out.

I'm afraid to put my hand in there now that I saw him! If I can figure out how and you pay shipping, I'd be happy to send him to you, but I'm afraid I'd have to send the rock along with him, water and all! It'd cost a fortune!

He's ok in there now, but I really want him out because I'd like to have that tank for newcomers or emergencies!

Guess I'll have to try to trap him.

judo1
09/17/2001, 09:47 PM
how big is the rock? would it fit in a large fish bag from your lfs? :)

cat23
09/17/2001, 09:54 PM
Yup!

I could probably get some 1-1/2 gal ziplock baggies and I think it would fit in there! The rock was full of coraline at one time and the urchins have now eaten it all off.

Pretty interesting thing, I don't pay too much attention to that tank and this weekend I was doing some cleaning of all my tanks and sure enough I cut my finger cleaning the inside of that tank. I figured I got the cut from rubbing against an urchin when I was cleaning the inside glass! That little rat probably ran out and bit me!!!

Anyhow, I'd have to fill the bag up with water too. Let me see if I can trap the little devil and I'll send him off! Where do you live?

judo1
09/17/2001, 11:21 PM
You've got mail :)

judo1
09/18/2001, 09:02 PM
Woooohoooo!!!

I'm finally getting a mantis!!! Sorry, my cherry mantis :p
A green one at that! Thanks cat!
Final preparations being made, and I hope to have him by next week!
Bashiba's girlfriend decided she wanted to keep theirs, after she found out someone else wanted it. Sheesh, women! :p
*duck* Ha! missed me! ...ouch!
Can't blame her though. At least Bashiba was willing to ship him out for me when nobody else wanted him, so he gets the cool guy award, too. :)

I tell you, after my Molecular Bio exam today, I couldn't wait to get home from work, and now I don't think I'll sleep all night!

Wooooohoooo!!!

cat23
09/18/2001, 09:53 PM
Hey Judo!

Now don't let this nasty little critter make you flunk out of school! If I catch you staring into his little tank all evening instead of putting your nose in the books, I'm going to want him back...after all I'm female too!!!

Trap was just set! Lights out, I'm going to bed! Come and get it little fella!:D :D :D :D

judo1
09/18/2001, 09:59 PM
Hey, I can't flunk out... then I would never make enough money to stay in this hobby! :)

Besides, if I need a medical excuse I'll just stick my finger in the tank! :p

"Sorry I missed your exam, sir... I got my butt kicked by a shrimp! Yes sir, I am a judo instructor, but... no sir, I'm not making fun of you, but..."

Ha! ROFL! :rollface:

Aquamans Reef
09/18/2001, 11:34 PM
and just think I paid 100.00 for a kit. :(

cat23
09/19/2001, 05:10 AM
**********************UPDATE*********************

Fished all night, no catch. Trap still set, maybe today...

What do you mean 100.00 for a kit? What kit are you talking about?

judo1
09/19/2001, 11:28 AM
Is there some kind of "Mantis Shrimp Kit" nobody knows about?
If so... $100 ?!? What all comes with it, a purple tang, for food? :)
Is this from your lfs or something?
:confused:

Fcamdog
09/19/2001, 04:55 PM
Was probably an Eclipse system some pet store sold with a mantis and labeled it a kit. A LFS where I live does that with sea horses.

judo1
09/19/2001, 05:26 PM
Heh, heh... that's a good idea... one way to sell these guys when everyone is always killing/getting rid of them! My lfs looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about getting a Mantis Shrimp... well, the one person in there that knew enough to think I was crazy, anyway.

cat23
09/22/2001, 08:54 AM
Judo1,

I'm not having too much luck with the trap and I don't want to pick up the rock. I stopped feeding the tank in hopes to lure him out for the bait.

Be patient! Don't worry, as soon as I can get him, he's still yours!
Keep the tank ready for him.

He's clicking away today, must need food!

judo1
09/22/2001, 09:20 AM
Still waiting patiently, and appreciative :)

cat23
09/22/2001, 01:29 PM
Here's some pics...

http://www.ourreef.homestead.com/files/mantis10.jpg

http://www.ourreef.homestead.com/files/mantis5.jpg

Isn't he cute???

JEMichael IV
09/22/2001, 10:30 PM
He will break that bag. I would suggest putting him in a Hamster ball and then in a bag.

cat23
09/22/2001, 10:44 PM
I was thinkig of that too! I toyed with the idea of putting him in one of those "disposable" ziplock continers that you can now get at the grocery store.

That's if I can catch him! He's not going for the trap I set. Any ideas of a better way to trap him? I sure could use some advise on this one.

What do you think?

Gamera
09/22/2001, 11:44 PM
I guess I came in to this thread too late. :(

I, too, am looking for a mantis. I haven't had luck with one that was being shipped out (it wasn't insulated enough and froze).

Now I have a bare 20 gallon tank that is desperately seeking a mantis occupant...

ISFRAEL
09/23/2001, 10:50 AM
speak to your lfs, mine check all their liverock and if they find a mantis i get a call and pick up my free mantis! my last 4 have been free and i got a nice 3" mantis today.

Fcamdog
09/23/2001, 01:39 PM
Gamera, drop me an email.

judo1
09/23/2001, 01:39 PM
He looks great!!!

As to shipping methods/containers, I'm still thinking... (just woke up :) ). Not too tired to say thank you again, though. Thanks, cat! :)

I wish my LFS here in Podunck would even get LR, much less a mantis shrimp. They think I'm crazy! With my first 200 lbs of Live Rock (picked up in Tampa four years ago), no "luck". With a recent 50-lb order of "uncured", no luck either. Man, I bet if I hated Mantis Shrimp they would be all over my tank! :p

Gamera
09/23/2001, 09:07 PM
I've asked my LFS about it repeatedly. They never get any mantis shrimp, or at least they haven't in a long long time.

I haven't tried the uncured live rock business, but I may, depending on how much money I save in the next few months.:p

cat23
09/23/2001, 09:44 PM
I think (???) this mantis came from some uncured rock I got from Gulf-View. Can't really say for sure but seems like it. I've gotten rock from a couple different places. Wanted to mix it up.

The rock I got from gulf view had alot of life on it (and alot of die off from shipping as well)

By the way Judo, this little rascal is cleaver!!! I'm not having too much luck with the trap. Going to see if my lfs has a trap. I don't want to do the soda water thing or I might kill him. Or stress him too much just before shipping him. He has a burrow in the sand and lives under the rock in the sand as well as in the rock.

We have been having fun showing him to everyone this past week. I can't believe I only just found him!

I got some "zip lock" tupperware containers today and guess I'll put him in a couple of them to ship (when I get him). I agree the baggie idea isn't too great. He'll have that sliced in a second!

And by the way, you are quite welcome...I am enjoying the idea of giving it to someone who I know wants him so badly!

I'll keep you posted on my "progress" or lack of!

I also have a shipping box from IPSF that I saved to send him in so I think he'll make it ok.

cat23
09/24/2001, 05:44 AM
No luck, no luck, no luck!!!

This morning I ordered a Mantis Trap from Ultralife............

judo1
09/24/2001, 10:20 AM
Don't worry about getting in a rush, unless you want to! :p
I'm not pushy (well, usually :) )... now that I know he's coming I can wait (I guess :p ).
I hate that you had to order a trap!!!
From the pictures, it looks like there are several rocks in the tank... if you isolate him down to one, and take the others out (this is a 10-gallon, right?), would traps (homemade or otherwise) not work better? Or at least it would improve your chances of catching him away from rocks, and you could pull the last one out.
What I would do (and it probably wouldn't work) would be to put all the rock except his back in your other tank(s), and put his in one corner... leave him alone after that for quite a while (overnight?), and then drop some food in the opposite corner of the tank. Assuming he hasn't eaten in a while, if he came out for the food, you could pull the last rock out. Of course, if you leave the food in there without watching him, he will just eat when you're not around, and baited traps might not work if he gets free food without braving a new object (the trap).
Of course, just like everyone without kids knows the best way to raise them, I'm just a guy without a Mantis Shrimp telling you how to catch him! :p

JMO

-JoN

cat23
09/24/2001, 01:47 PM
To The Soon To Be Mantis Shrimp Owner (Judo1),

Great idea! The tank is a 20 gal. I have a damsel in there too who I guess I'll catch and put in my sump for the meantime. Either that or he'll loose his hiding spot and probably get slashed!I'll get all the rock out, only about 4 pieces, and move his over to the corner. The trap should be here later this week but I'm going to keep on trying anyhow. Then I can put the trap in as well as the coke bottle.

Maybe after getting the rock out, I can lure him out and have the tank bare of rock.................still scared to reach in there though!

If so........................I'll have him!!!!! Mr Mantis is not going to make sport of me anymore! I am going to win this battle!

judo1
09/24/2001, 05:04 PM
What kind of mastermind is this that the people of the web must unite and devise a plan to outsmart him?

:rollface:

cat23
09/25/2001, 03:37 PM
Judo1,

I GOT HIM, I GOT HIM, I GOT HIM, I GOT HIM, I GOT HIM!!!!!!!

I was so excited, I posted it on the wrong thread!!!!!

Go to the other thread about mantis and stars (Green Death)

YAAA HOOOO!!!!!

judo1
09/25/2001, 09:56 PM
Oops!

I was so excited I replied in the wrong thread!
We've both been posting on the same three threads concerning this little guy. :)

Whoo-hoo again!

cat23
09/25/2001, 10:30 PM
Judo,

I read that thread too! THIS is the right one now! Tomorrow, I'm going to put the rock into another tank and then I can try your lure him out and pick up the ole rock trick. (trap whould be here by the end of the week, hehe)

He'll probably rip up my nets though. I have 5 of them! I also have the ziplock containers sitting right next to the bucket along with nets, pliers (to pick up rock with) and kitchen tongs.

There's only an airstone in there now. Don't want to leave him like that longer than a day so tomorrow, I'm going to put him in an acrylic tank I have ready to use for a refug. (glad I didn't get to that this past weekend!)

I should have him by the end of the week.

I should probably fed-ex him so he gets there the next day. What do you think? What am I going to say when they ask the contents? A SLASHING MANTIS SHRIMP!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'll update of my hunt in the morning!

judo1
09/27/2001, 07:02 PM
Well!

Sounds like you've got everything ready to get him... where's he at now?

Tell FedEx there's a mogwai in the box! What are they going to do, look at you funny? :) Then you could tell them the truth... they'd still think you were kidding!!! LOL

cat23
09/27/2001, 07:35 PM
Hi,

He's in a separate tank now with only him and his rock. I've been so busy this week, I havn't had time to mess around with it. Now with tomorrow being Friday, I think I should just let him there and get him over the weekend and then I can ship on Monday. Sound good to you?

Trap not here yet.

Did you read the thread on Mantis shipping? Also, Dr Ron thinks the ziplock containers is a good idea.

I'm getting kind of attached to him now. (don't worry) He really is pretty interesting! What size tank are you going to have him in? Get some squid, he really likes it!

Well, looks like shipping will be on Monday. I'll get another pic for you and post it :)

cat23
09/28/2001, 09:57 PM
Oh Judo,

I thought for sure he'd be to you this week! Sorry! Having a little trouble on this end!

The trap came today and is now set. He's in a tank with only him and his rock now. (and the trap) He just won't come out! There's no sand in the tank at all. I'm sure he doesn't like that!

Just be patient because he hasn't eaten for awhile and he sure is peeking out of his hole an awful lot. I kinda feel sorry for the poor little guy. He must be pretty scared. Hopefully, he'll come out and go in the trap at night.

I was so excited when I got the rock out. I was sure I had him and would be sending him off then.

Hope I can get him this weekend!

cat23
09/29/2001, 09:14 AM
Judo1,

Check out the thread I started in the General Reef Discussion area!!!

SHIPPING MONDAY!!!

http://www.ourreef.homestead.com/files/mantis02.jpg

Didn't really need this afterall...but...

http://www.ourreef.homestead.com/files/mantis06.jpg

LOL LOL LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

judo1
10/01/2001, 12:10 PM
Cat,

HI!!! You got him?!? :bigeyes:

Sorry, I've been away most of the weekend (Judo tournament Saturday, and a horse show Sunday), and didn't see your post until now. :hmm5:

Anyway, let me know what's going on. You said shipping Monday, but that's today, and I hadn't responded. So, what's up?
I can't wait to get him!
:bounce1:

I just did another water change on his tank, where he has a damnsel keeping his house warm. :)

Gotta get to work and then go teach a judo class, but will be back tonight! Keep me posted!
:fun1:

cat23
10/01/2001, 12:31 PM
Hi Judo1,

Well, he's off...Took a plane ride this morning. When asked what the contents were, I said aquarium parts! LOL:D :D :D

He should get to you by 10:00AM tomorrow! Hope you're there!

Post a pic when he gets settled in. I'd like to see him in his new home.

He loves squid...get some!

P.S.
Don't forget to send my shipping costs! UPS next day is outrageous!!!

cat23
10/02/2001, 04:51 AM
Hello..............

cat23
10/02/2001, 11:05 AM
Hi,

I tracked the package. Tracking # is J093 300 849 8

UPS dropped it off at the address you gave me this morning. At the garage (?)

Let me know how he likes his new home. I'm sure he'll be spoiled rotten!!!:D

judo1
10/02/2001, 10:17 PM
Hooray!!!!

He's here, he's home, he's happy!!!
I was here when the UPS dropped him off, but they never knock or ring... :mad:
Anyway, I heard the truck pull off, opened the door and found him on my hood!!! (ummm... of my vehicle, not my tank :) )
He got plenty of time to acclimate, as I was trying to finish setting up a syphon system between my two side-by-side dedicated tanks (the other has a GBS) to allow having a heater in only one of the tanks (not the one with the mantis), with the added bonus of effectively doubling the water volume (instead of two separate tank volumes)!
Anyway, by the time I got him all set up (I was not going to let him free in the tank until I was out of it!), I had to hurry off to work, so couldn't post.
I keep going in the kitchen to look at him since I got home. He's great! A bit tamer than I expected, though. :p Maybe he's one of the "nice Mantis shrimp". ;) He has not attacked anything... the container he was in (or my finger on the outside of it), a little stick, the aquarium itself, or the damnsel that is still swimming around wondering what to make of 'this green thing' in his tank. Folks, we have ourselves a domesticated Mantis! :)
Don't worry... he will be spoiled. :) A few in-laws are wanting to come over and see what all the fuss is about... oh, and I will send your shipping costs promptly. :)

oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy
:bounce5: :bounce5: :bounce5: :bounce5: :bounce5: :bounce5:

cat23
10/02/2001, 10:48 PM
Judo1,

:wave: Hope you don't get judo practiced on you when you clean his tank! I'm glad you got him safely.

Is there a rock in the tank? He'll hide in it all the time if there is. Then if you put a stick in there, he'll sneak out and hammer it! I can't believe he didn't attack a stick! He always does! He will.

Give him some time to settle in...Probably has "jet-lag":D

cat23
10/11/2001, 10:17 PM
... oh, and I will send your shipping costs promptly.

Judo, I didn't get the shipping costs. Did you send it yet? Kinda short on $$$ right now!

How is he doing anyhow?

judo1
10/23/2001, 08:03 PM
cat,

hey there! he's doing great! I think he finally ate the damnsel in the tank, to my wife's dismay (and the damsel's too, I'm sure :lol: )

sorry, I've been away from rc for a couple of weeks... have you gotten the check yet? It hasn't cleared, so I assume not. I'll send another one this week if you haven't. Just tear one of them up if you get both. Oh, and I wouldn't open it if it has been redirected and has a weird powdery substance on it... it might not be Lime!

Anyway, I'm back on rc.
:bounce3:

judo1
10/23/2001, 08:07 PM
btw, cat... did it look to you like his claws were missing?

I think they are gone, but are growing back; they are kinda pink and blunt (and small) where there should be a 'claw'

doesn't matter... just wondering what you thought

cat23
10/24/2001, 04:20 AM
Hi,

I wondered what happeded to you!.. No check. I'll e-mail the correct address.

I didn't think his claws were missing. Stick your finger in there and move it back and forth over his den and you'll find his claws! hehe!:D

Would be nice if you could post some pics...

Better leave fish out of there or he'll surely murder the next one!

judo1
10/26/2001, 11:50 AM
He's got something that he strikes with... like I said, it loks like claws are growing back or something. They are pinkish on the end right now. Does anyone know about this, or have pictures of a Mantis's "claws"?

I have borrowed a digital camera, but it's not that great (and the little guy is not too cooperative... I guess he likes all the caves in the tank).

cat23
10/26/2001, 10:24 PM
Judo1,

Apparently they molt like cleaner shrimps do. Not supposed to be the ideal time to ship when this is going on! Sounds like the little rascal is doing ok though. Starting to get back to his old tricks.

Mr Mantis got your damsel did he? My damsel has been living with him for about 6 months and they even had their burrows real close. Guess yours wasn't quite ready for his new tankmate.:(
If you get the chance to borrow your friends camera, be sure to post it here on Reef Central. Lots of people here would love to see him I'm sure.

Glad you're having fun with him!;)

Isis
10/28/2001, 12:47 PM
Judo1
I am bashibas girlfriend and Thanks for the funny reply back on page one:clown:
Just so you know, the manits shrimp(Ugly that's his name!) is doing very well and is now living with 2 blue damsels.
I have millions of questions about them so i will be checking out all the info...
How long have you been keeping them?
Like I said, I have millions of questions to ask and lots of things to learn about them.

judo1
10/28/2001, 10:43 PM
Isis,

I have been keeping Mantis shrimp for a quite fulfilling... umm, how long has it been now, cat? Hmm... almost a month now! :)

The damsel, my wife's little guy, loved to explore the tank. He had been placed in the mantis's tank before its new inhabitant, mainly because I didn't want him eating up the detritivore kits I was adding. He would come out and say "hi", and was very curious about his new roommate. The mantis actually seemed afraid of him for a while; maybe he was molting and knew he was delicate. I guess, though, he got too curious, and became lunch! :)

My mantis is funny. Just tonight I was trying to feed him, and he took the little piece of shrimp off of the feeder prong (a recent, probably wise, investment), and then threw it away (the shrimp). When I put the piece of shrimp into his cavern (well, the one he was in at the moment... he has dug about four in the sand under the rocks), he grabbed it, climbed out, threw the shrimp morsel away from his hole, and then turned around and went back in. After I did it again, he threw the morsel out and then smacked the prong before going in... I guess he showed me! I guess he's not hungry (I feed him well), and doesn't want food rotting in his living room. :)

Lots o' fun! I just got a new hood finished for his tank, with actinics only... looks wierd, I may add a 20,000k at least part of the time. Anyway, I can't wait to get a good picture and post it, and am happy to trade trade secrets with everyone, though I have little to offer in return.

Keep Posting!

-JoN

:bounce2:

judo1
10/28/2001, 10:45 PM
Isis,

BTW, a certain individual on the board by the name of gonodactylus knows gads about these creatures. (What's a gad?)

-JoN

cat23
10/28/2001, 11:16 PM
LOL!

Try some squid, he loves it! Unless you want to get some snails, he loves them and will have a hay day with them too. And black spiney urchins! He ate about 20 of them. Spines all over the place!
He is moody sometimes. He likes his privacy and doesn't like when the stick goes by his living room door. It's fun to see how he comes running out just a little to see what's going on outside his den. Nosy little rascal!

Isis
10/30/2001, 04:23 PM
That is funny! My mantis does the same thing. Bashiba says i feed him to much and that he only would feed him once every couple of days. I can't do that. I like to see my animals well fed and happy. We just went down and bought him some snails today and he is happily snapping away at one of them.:bum:
He hasn't even touched the damsels which is interesting.
I've tried to feed him krill but he doesn't like that. He also doesn't like Silversides. He is really wierd. I even tried to put live fish in with him but he didn't even bother with them.
I am wondering something too, what is a gad???:confused:
I also have little to offer in the manits shrimp field. I know some about freshwater fish, but that is about my fortae...(did i spell that right?LOL!)
Just like you, I've had my mantis for as long as this post has been on here and that is all.
BTW,(tossing something at him again!) DUCK! This time I'm not gonna miss! LOL!;)

ISFRAEL
10/30/2001, 06:44 PM
hey isis and welcome to mantis land! youll love it!

your mantis might not hate all those foods it just might be molting!
ive found that my mantis is very non-fussy about what he eats. anything is edible.

some mantis will bury un-eaten food which can be a problem that causes high nitrate levels. i wait around to see if he really has taken the food as i found that they sometimes take the food but throw it out a few minutes later. if so remove it before it causes any problem.

gonodactylus is actually dr. roy caldwell, a proffesor from burkley university who has been studing stomatopods for a long time (30 year or so). he knows alot about the species name etc.

Isis
11/01/2001, 03:53 PM
But darn it.... what is a GAD?????? LOL!:confused: :confused: :p
Thanks for the welcome ISFRAEL! I want to learn everythingI can about this little guy!
BTW: how often do they molt? He has closed up some holes in his rock for a couple of days and then pushed then opened again so I figured that he was molting ten, but he has done that about two or three times and I didn't know if he was molting everytime or just what he was doing.
Today he gave me a cool show of him breaking a snail off of the rock and pulling it down into his cave and letting me watch as he smashed it opened. It was sort of funny cause as he finally got the snail loose he started to fall, fell onto a Damsel, scared himself and smacked the fish. No harm was done to either fish or shrimp. It was just sort of comical! :eek2: :eek1: :D

judo1
11/01/2001, 08:47 PM
Isis,

That's great! I hope I get to see some similar shows... I've got some blue leg hermits coming in tomorrow, to go in the mantis tank for extra snacks/ exercise/ comic relief... well, I figure blh's have to be good for SOMEthing! :)
Some will also go in with my 14" Green Brittle Star, but I doubt that will be as interesting.
BTW, the word gad, which originally came about as a shortened version of goobleygobs is Aramaic for the modern term "ahelluvalot".

:)
-JoN

Isis
11/05/2001, 02:23 PM
OOOO! Ok I see. I gad is a "ahelluvalot". Now I am on the same page.
I have little crabs in my tank and my mantis does't seem to interested in them. I think they are just food for when he doesnt have any snails to chew on. I don't know. I haven't seen him yet today I wonder what he is up to. No cracking noises either.
OOPS! nevermind. He is sitting out by his hole trying to hit the damsels that are swimming around him. Brave little brat! Usually he hides when they come around him but I guess he has had enough of the taunting and is fighting back. :p

cat23
11/06/2001, 07:16 AM
Judo1,

It was hard to send that mantis because after seeing him in the tank himself, and reading up alot on them,I found him to be quite interesting...The fact that I promised him to someone who wanted one so bad made me go through with my promise.

Strange...never received either check! What do you think about that?:confused:

judo1
11/15/2001, 10:53 AM
Strange...

I have sent TWO checks already -- which can be gladly verified by my wife -- AND offered to send Paypal payment if cat23 agreed not to cash either check. I have written her several times, with no response, though she has read every message.

If she is going to write flaming bs about me, and not even respond to messages, I guess she doesn't want the money too bad. Or maybe she's lying, and has one check, and is waiting on the other so she can get $60 for her mantis shrimp that she was "so upset" about giving away. I guess will just go cancel BOTH checks, so when she gets them (if she hasn't already) she will see that I indeed held up my end of the bargain (heck, I even offered PayPal), but chose to cancel the checks... both for my safety (can't have lost checks out there, after all) and to show her that you can't just be a b*tch just b/c you didn't want to uphold your end of the deal. I have notified her of this intent repeatedly, if she chose not to respond. She has been reading the messages, but chose not to respond. I tried being nice, but should have cancelled them yesterday or day before, when I told her I would if I received no response.

I just hope she hasn't cashed them both yet, before I have a chance to cancel them. Geez, some people can seem nice up front, and then turn into a real ***. Even from the day she sent the shrimp, even though she was mostly nice on RC her emails were not quite as nice.

Sorry, cat... I tried being nice, even chose not to respond publicly to this bullsh*t until now... sent another check after the first one "never made it," and even offered you Paypal AFTER I had sent TWO checks, just so you would not have to rely on the USPS... told you I hoped this could be resolved and we could somehow be friends... no response? You spit in the hand that offered easy resolution... above and beyond what should be expected of me (two checks AND offering Paypal). Some people...

judo1
11/15/2001, 11:03 AM
And to the members of this board, I apologize that you have this pile of sh*t to deal with in your own backyard.
I never got a "did you send the money?" or "what's going on?" email, just came back to the board and found this bs. I would've rather dealt with it privately, and have been trying very hard to do so ("you have become fixated... what do you care what she says? You know the truth, and so does she" my wife has said).

Think rationally, as I have implored her to do, why would I try to screw someone out of $30 in a several-thousand dollar hobby? I have bought things from other members of the board (lime from reefdream, critters from ghiller), and even added a couple of extra bucks for the trouble. If I were the type to try to screw her over, I could just login under another name and forget about it. Once again, I tried SEVERAL times to resolve this nicely, and she has basically told me to ***** off by refusing to answer me. I am sorry everyone else has to deal with it, also/

cat23
11/15/2001, 05:01 PM
I have sent this and all private messages to the moderators!

By the way, I still have not received a check. Just private messages in the past 3-4 days to send them then lengthy disortations on how you are going to stop payment on them.

Lets see some proof on your end of all these checks you send and stop payment on.

I have the ups tracking papers from October 1.

Will be glad to scan it and post it here tonight.

Yes, you're right, they all know the truth Judo1, you did NOT keep up your end of the bargain. It's simple!

Sorry my deed turned so sour.

How is the little fella anyhow Judo1?

JohnL
11/15/2001, 05:40 PM
OK, let's all relax and see if the check arrives in the next day or two.

judo1
11/15/2001, 08:05 PM
the checks will be cancelled tomorrow... then you can flame me all you want about sending you a canceled check.
I tried to be civil... what a !!!!!

Death Shrimp99
11/15/2001, 08:28 PM
Judo has tried to be nice to you about it. He could have sent the checks and something went wrong, who knows woth everything going on now in the world. I would feel pretty mad if i was judo and sent the checks and everybody is still mad at him. i dont think judo is lying because $60 isint really alot and isint even worth argueing over.

judo1
11/15/2001, 08:31 PM
Thanks Death Shrimp, my best support of this sentiment follows with the unanswered resolution...

"And the reason you ignored my offers to pay with paypal, in ADDITION to the two checks???
No attempt to facilitate a happy ending, you would rather whine and moan to moderators than reply with a simple "yes, paypal me... and I agree to tear up any checks I receive"

Just felt like being a b*tch?"

BTW your right, $60 is even worth arguing over, but this is only about $30!!! ridiculous!

judo1
11/15/2001, 08:40 PM
To all the members of this great forum, I once again apologize. I do not get to spend as much time here as I would like, but I think this forum, like the creature at its core, is great!
If my reactions and/or language are inappropriate I apologize, but having my honor questioned publicly when I have tried hard to resolve things privately, both w/ email and pm'ing, and on the one board I ALWAYS come to every time I'm on line angered me, as did the thought that those I was becoming friends with would have been given a negative lie about me while I was away. If I were the kind of guy to screw someone over, I guess I wouldn't care, but I do.
Once again, I apologize all, and may take a short leave of absence to cool down.

judo1
11/16/2001, 10:55 AM
cat23, go ahead and cash the second check (or whichever arrives first... though I bet you already received one yesterday, and are too low to admit publicly you were wrong, or if you do I'm sure it will be in the middle of some snide remark to justify your attitude), but if you try and cash them both...

After sleeping on it I realized that no matter how much I dislike you and your attitude, I will pay for the mantis, as I have tried repeatedly to do (but you never responded to my paypal offer).

I will not feel unwelcome here... after all, I am a happy owner of a mantis shrimp, and I joined this forum because I wanted one, not to get rid of one.

cat23
11/16/2001, 07:45 PM
I have never received anything from you at all!

You're a smart shopper!

cat23
11/18/2001, 05:35 PM
Check received Saturday Nov 17, post dated Wed Nov. 14.

http://www.ourreef.homestead.com/files/check1.jpg

http://www.ourreef.homestead.com/files/check.jpg

We'll see if it clears.

JohnL
11/18/2001, 05:55 PM
Nice to see that it worked out in the end :)