PDA

View Full Version : Stonogobiops nematodes, finding a mate

viking1
03/22/2004, 10:44 PM
I recently purchased a Stonogobiops nematodes and I was wondering if it is possible to identify the females from the males. I would really like to have a pair of them but the LFS had like 8 of them in one tank and didn't know if they would pair up. Does anyone have any information on this topic. Thanks.

DensityMan
03/23/2004, 10:04 AM
Thread spawned from January's (or was it February's) article regarding Stonogobiopsis sp. http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=296310

I have been able to find no hard evidence one way or another (though I am following the advice of another hobbyist to find a 'male' yasha (from that same thread). The one time I tried to pair the nematodes I have, the new nematodes bullied the established nematodes out of its den and away from its A. randalli. The fish was harassed to death, near as I can tell. The evicted goby just kept coming back for more, but the new goby was just tougher or meaner.

The surviving nematodes then later tried to kick the yasha out of it's den, but ended up with a den-mate instead. /shrug