PDA

View Full Version : LR curing

masterswimmer
03/21/2004, 09:04 PM
Things seem to be happening (albeit slowly):

75 gal. display
15 gal. fuge
120 lbs LR
running actinics only for ~4hrs/day (about 20" above the tank)
Oceanic salt

ammonia = 8+ (off the chart) since Thurs nite 3/18
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 0
PH = 7.9
Temp = 81
salinity = 1.0235 (planning to increase it to 1.0255 by cycle's end)

At what point in time should I expect to see my nitrites spike? How long does it normally take? PH is low due to die off on LR I believe. Haven't tested for Alk/dKh, calcium, phos. yet. Figure I need to get through the cycle first.

Are these readings looking in the normal range (at this point in the cycle)?

Thank you my resident guru's,
Russ

ADS
03/21/2004, 10:19 PM
I don't think the lights are necessary this early. Use a skimmer and flow.
I would consider a water change after 3 days.
You should see nitrite rise and ammonia decrease at about 10-14 days. Nitrate will rise once ammonia gone. You'll see brown algae on glass first.
Adam

masterswimmer
03/21/2004, 10:49 PM
Thanx Adam. Was kinda hoping the actinics for a few hours might help whatever coraline and minute coral life there is to survive. Skimmer is pulling lots of gunk.

I already missed the three day mark for water change. How much of a change should I do? And, is it really necessary? Since it is only LR and no fish, inverts or corals, wouldn't the higher ammonia help for the tank to cycle faster? ie: more good bacteria? Doing a water change will benefit how?

Thanx for the input,
Russ

Tomzpc
03/22/2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by masterswimmer

ammonia = 8+ (off the chart) since Thurs nite 3/18
nitrite = 0
nitrate = 0
PH = 7.9
Temp = 81
salinity = 1.0235 (planning to increase it to 1.0255 by cycle's end)

Russ,

What kit are you using for PH? Salifert's PH test kit is the only one of theirs that I don't like. Mine would always look closer to 7.9 against other kits which would show between 8.1 and 8.5, depending on time of day tested. My PH monitor confirmed the higher readings.

ADS
03/22/2004, 02:08 PM
Water changes will prevent killing off the rock entirely. You're curing rock and cycling the tank together. This is one reason I like to use vats. There will be initial die off on the rock which will stabilize if given the correct environment(pH low ammonia/nitrite temp flow). If you leave the rock in that environment(high ammonia/nitrite low pH) most of the coral and plant will die off.
With uncured/precured you're trying to preserve the life on the rock.
Light can be added at 10-14d when your ammonia is gone and you start getting nitrates. Earlier photosynthesis may just lead to increasing the DOC in the water.
Adam

masterswimmer
03/22/2004, 08:05 PM
Adam, thnx very informative. Even an hour a day for lights? Just so I can peek in there and enjoy. Is that wrong too?

Tom, I'm just using a cheap Aquarium Pharmaceuticals PH test kit. I will eventually be buying a PH monitor, but until then I didn't want to shell out another $15 for something I've already got (albeit not the best one out there, but probably close enough during the cycle process).

Russ

nine9d
03/28/2004, 10:31 PM
edit*

nine9d
03/28/2004, 11:08 PM
Russ what have you been doing with the lights?

masterswimmer
03/28/2004, 11:30 PM
Ross,
Been keeping the lights off primarily. Only keep them on for about one hour a day. I have a sickness, I have to look at my rock a little bit every day. But my sickness is being helped by the 12 step program and the first step is the realization that I do have a problem.

Oh by the way my ammonia is at ZERO baby, ZERO woooohooooo!!!

Russ