PDA

View Full Version : how 2 get out gum????

berger034
03/21/2004, 03:32 PM
hey guys,
i was messing around this weekend and tripped out in front of the mall and landed on gum (funny actually) it was on my back i didnt realize it. i was borrowing my sis-in-laws car and smeared it all over her leather seats. its no bling bling car with leather but i feel responsible for putting the gum on her seats.

will goo gone take the gum out of the seats without ruining the leather. is there a good way to take it off. the shirt was a brand new shirt my girl gave me, is there any hope for it?

any help, it would be really appreciated.
thanks

Tahoe Ocean
03/21/2004, 04:59 PM
according to the Queen of Clean (my mom bought me her book)

Gum: The best way to deal with gum is to harden it first. Harden any item marred by chewing gum by placing it in a plastic bag in the freezer and leaving it overnight. Immediately upon removing the vag from the freezer, scrape off any gum that you can with a dull straight edge. If all the gum is removed, treat the fabric with an equal mixture of white vinegar and liquid dish soap. You may also try treating the area with lighter fluid, although you must do this outside and use extreme care, testing the fabric first.
Sometimes rubbing the area with egg white (not the yoke, no joke!) will remove the ramining residue.
If gum is still trapped, try working petroleum jelly into the fivers and scraping off the little balls that form.Be sure to follow the directions under the Grease Section to remove the grease from the petroleum jelly.
Petroleum jelly will also soften old, dry gum. You want to work the petroleum jelly into the gum and then scrape off all that you can.
For those of you who ask, yes, peanut butter will work too, but it is messier. My advice is to eat the peanut butter, and use the petroleum jelly!
Carbona makes A stain Devil for Chewing Gum Removal. It's a great specialty spotter!

That's right out of the book: I found that peanut butter works great when my daughter gets it in her hair, and I would think that a leather conditioning oil would probably work for your car seats.

Good luck!

bulldog12
03/21/2004, 05:00 PM
Have u tried just some leather soap and elbow grease???

berger034
03/22/2004, 02:46 AM
hey thanks guys. a little goo gone did the trick but i dont know about my shirt. i wil try that freezer thing

thrlride
03/22/2004, 09:04 AM
I've heard vegetable oil followed but a stiff detergent will get out gum.

Cakepro
03/22/2004, 08:50 PM
Goo Gone is a godsend! It will definitely take the gum both off the car and off the shirt. That stuff has saved loads of clothes in which my children have left packs of gum in their pockets.

~ Sherri