PDA

View Full Version : what does your clown goby perch on (if you don't have acros)

dennis_said
03/20/2004, 07:11 PM
Hi all,

Thinking about getting a couple clown gobies, am wondering the variety of the things they perch on are... I don't have acros or any sps..

Thanks!

Soccer
03/20/2004, 08:04 PM
I have seen them in all types of corals, on top of powerheads, and sometimes just on the liverock. This was not my tank, but a member of our local aquarium club's. This was one of the green clown gobies, and he was swimming all around then he would perch on something for a bit, then move on to something else. It may depend though, on the fish.

Best of luck, I will be getting one, I think really cool fish!

dennis_said
03/20/2004, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the info soccer! I just am mainly concerned with them hiding in my rockwork! That'd suck!

neptune299
03/20/2004, 09:30 PM
Be cautious if you don't have Acro, many things they perch on sting them. I have witnessed a few Yellow Clown Gobies perching on corals such as Cynarina and being slowly blistered on their abdomens and eventually die.

TippyToeX
03/20/2004, 09:32 PM
Mine are all over the place! One mintue on the rocks, next plopped in the middle of my open brain, next they are cozied up to the toadstool leather. They were shy at first. Hardly ever feeding too. Once the got comfortable and eating well they are always out and about. You have to hunt for them sometimes (mainly because they are so small) but they never stayed holed up for long. IME :)

dennis_said
03/21/2004, 01:23 AM
Nice thanks! Wow, you would think those gobies would learn from the first shock ;)

geofloors
03/21/2004, 08:05 AM
Mine perch on every sps in the tank. I have a breeding pair which have one specific acropora they lay eggs on. Every 10 days they eat the tissue off the underside of a branch to lay eggs. The eggs hatch in a few days then they will move to another part of the acro to lay eggs again. Never in the same place twice. This has been going on for 2 years now. Luckily for me this is a huge brown colony that grows fast enough to keep up the the gobies ability to lay eggs and not kill the colony. I would not recommend to get these gobies for an sps tank. They do fine in a softy tank though. They will perch on leathers just like acroporas.

George

goavs21
03/21/2004, 09:32 AM
I just love my little GCG. The color variations he takes on when sitting in different spots of the tank are very cool.

http://pws.chartermi.net/~goavs/Marine/gcgandtrumpet.jpg

http://pws.chartermi.net/~goavs/Marine/pic24.jpg

Soccer
03/21/2004, 01:54 PM
Nice pics goavs!

Really cool little fish!

dennis_said
03/21/2004, 03:29 PM
Nice pictures indeed!

goavs21
06/03/2004, 12:30 AM
Well I guess every dog has his day, turns out the GCG loves the Acros after all. :D

http://webpages.charter.net/goavs21/assets/Marine/New%20Folder/GCG%20&%20Acro2.jpg

CableGuy
06/03/2004, 01:15 AM
I also have a GCG, he is just perfect for my 10 gal nano. He likes to site on just about any of my corals, zoo's, candycane, fungia plate coral, and my blasto. What I like most about him is that he is very active always moving from place to place, and he eats out of my hand every time I feed him. It took a while before he started eating flakes but now he just can't get enough!

dave2184
06/03/2004, 01:23 AM
I've got a GCG he hangs out on my Derasa clam. I'll get a pic when the lights are on.