PDA

View Full Version : Help, cycling problem

fishman02
03/20/2004, 06:35 PM
My LR has been cycling for 3 days and I just turned on my lights and what do i see "white moth-like" substance (spider-web) like on parts of each of my Live Rock. I had a problem like this with my fresh water tank and I didn't take care of it, so it became a disaster (it was highly toxic and smelled horrible).

Can I take out the rock and scrub it? Can I use an algae brush?

What is this, what are my options?

Thanks,

Legal Reefer
03/20/2004, 06:44 PM
Did you do a search for spider web before you made this post?

fishman02
03/20/2004, 06:54 PM
Did a search, not very helpful. Most people are describing a worm that is responsible for the spider webs, I'm talking about spider webs relating to the ammonia in my tank. Only 1 other person had what I was describing, and nobody could help him. Can anybody help me here?

Thanks

Legal Reefer
03/20/2004, 06:57 PM
Thats what I wanted to know--what are your water parameters?

fishman02
03/20/2004, 07:00 PM
Its in the 3rd day of the cycle, I've only checked PH, about 8.2 and ammonia, which was .5 - any suggestions? I have a 5g bucket filled with RO/DI water, I just added 2 cups of salt and have a Powerhead circulating with a heater inside, - ready for a water change.

Let me know if I should do a water change and scrub some of the rocks with the spider web problem. I'm really nervous, this same problem appeared on my lace rock for my freshwater tank and killed a bunch of fish and smelled aweful.

Legal Reefer
03/20/2004, 07:03 PM
Was the rock cured or are you having a lot of die off? Was it covered in coralline before you started your cycle? If so, is it possible that the coralline is just bleaching, ie dying (which is entirely normal)?

fishman02
03/20/2004, 07:08 PM
the rock was semi-cured, tons of coraline algae. i don't think its bleaching, unless bleaching causes tons of cotton ball sized spider webs on different areas of each rock? The spider webs seem to be in various small pockets on each rock? If it starts to get worse, should I take out the rocks and do some scrubbing and then a water change?

Legal Reefer
03/20/2004, 07:22 PM
How can you be so sure these aren't vermatid "webs"? If you don't like the look of them, I don't see any harm in scrubbing the rocks. Maybe you can simply suck them up with a turkey baster? I wouldn't worry about a water change--but if it makes you happy--do it. I would let that freshly mixed water sit overnight, however.

fishman02
03/20/2004, 07:36 PM
Ok, thanks for your help.

Greg

razzbo56
05/05/2004, 09:55 AM
I was having the same problem with my uncured rock. I just blew it off about 4 times in a one week period with a powerhead ,increased water flow and it didn't come back. Never really sure what it was .

dracul00
05/05/2004, 10:45 AM
be patient and dont look inside when all that stuff is rotting and dead, thats the whole purpose