PDA

View Full Version : stock list for low light 90 gallon

sea student
03/20/2004, 02:19 PM
My 90 gallon has been running for 2.5 mos now so I'm constantly reworking the stocklist. I originally planned on having FOWLR. I only have 120 watts of NO fluorescent lighting. I don't plan to upgrade the lighting, but have noticed that there are some interesting things that might work to add color.
What I have:
starfish (blue linckia), 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, butterfly (heniochus diphreutes), GSM clown, blue tang, hermits and snails
what I am considering:
midas blenny, sun coral (tubastrea), mushrooms?, mandarin (much later), flame angel, orange starfish (fromia), featherdusters, second fire shrimp?
have heard this might work, looking for info:
xenia, star polyps, sinularia, favia
I am impressed by those of you w/ full blown reefs, but would like to see what I could do w/ my existing setup. What do you think if my list so far. Any other things you would add to or take off? Thanks for your help!

smartin77
03/20/2004, 05:45 PM
Most of it sounds pretty good to me. Those corals would live under that lighting but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for growth and multiplication. I would avoid the blue linkia... they are probably the least hardy starfish... the oranges are much hardier.
Your right about putting the mandarin in much later but I would get a refugium to be safe. A mandarin can deplete a tank of pods in no time.
I would pair up the fire shrimp. They like to hide and may be out more if in a pair.
Angels may pick on the corals and featherdusters. They are hit and miss; the corals would probably be alright but if it picks on the feather duster, you would never see it out of its soft shell.
I would definitely get the midas blenny. They are a cool fish.

Josh K
03/21/2004, 12:14 AM
I think mushrooms would do well in your tank they do best with little light and ussually multiply quite fast. I agree with smartin77 flame angels are hit or miss mine wasn't reef safe but a few of my friends have them and they have no problems.