PDA

View Full Version : How to clean tank that was used for FW?

96TL
03/19/2004, 04:21 PM
Hello. I'm trying to clean my tank that I was originally using for FW. Whats the best way to do this? For the FW I was using tap but I'll be using RO/DI water from now one. Is there anything I have to do? How about for the powerheads? Should I soak them overnight or something? Thanks!

DaveJohnson
03/19/2004, 04:31 PM
In the past I've used vinegar and bleach. Both will do the job just fine. If you use bleach, rinse it well and let it sit a day or two for the chlorine to dissipate.

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

GreyhoundMama
03/19/2004, 05:43 PM
Maybe I'm lazy, but I just rinsed mine a few times and it did just fine. It's my understanding that most, if not all, of any freshwater pathogens won't survive in saltwater, so I figured I wasn't taking too big a risk.

That said, my tank was hardy corals and fish, rather than delicate hard corals. Good luck!!!

SandFlea
03/19/2004, 05:45 PM
I used vinegar and dilluted it in a water solution to scrub my tank

bertoni
03/19/2004, 07:43 PM
If you didn't use any medications in the tank, just a rinse should be fine. Vinegar is great for removing calcium deposits.

skippy2
03/19/2004, 08:35 PM
My 20 was fw before I switched to sw. I just wiped down with tapwater, let it dry and filled it back up with saltwater.