PDA

View Full Version : Quarintne tank

ghost78
03/19/2004, 03:55 PM
Well it was brought to my attention that fish should be quarintined at least 2 weeks before they are added to a main display tank.

so my question is what are the parameters for a quarinten tank?

nutrient levels and salinity levels?

do you use a bare bottom tank?
or do you use a subtraight?

do you keep low levels of copper in the tank?

what type of lighting?

is a refugium the same a quarntine tank?

commandertekki
03/19/2004, 04:01 PM
lighting doesnt really matter. as for all other parameters, you can have the same temp, salinity, pH, etc. as the main display tank.

You just want to make sure that nothing out of the extraordinary shows up.... like ich, eyes exploding, fishing glowing green in the nite, etc.

absolutely no copper should be added until you determine that it's ,necessary to add cupramine.

just look at it on a regular basis.. if nothing is wrong with it, dump the little critter into the main display tank.

the whole purpose is to protect the fishes, and corals in the main display tank.

if you havent done so, it might be a good time for you to go ahead and set one up because the biggest problem is if you dont have the bacterias in there, you have to fight with ammonia and nitrite. which stinks.

gcvt
03/19/2004, 07:50 PM
I keep my QT tank bare-bottom with some pieces of PVC pipe for hiding places. Hardware includes one small powerhead, a heater, regular fluorescent light, and a thermometer. Then, I keep a small powerfilter in my main tank and move it over to the QT tank when needed...that way I have a fully cycled filter to provide biofiltration on the QT tank whenever it's needed.

I keep the parameters as close to the main tank as I can - pH 8.1, SG 1.025, 81F, etc. I quarantine fish for at least 4 weeks and don't add any meds until needed.

baz
03/19/2004, 08:01 PM
this thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=330637&highlight=qt) has some good insight for a QT. Good Luck

Baz

ghost78
03/19/2004, 08:53 PM
wow that is a great thread

thanks