PDA

View Full Version : Is this sand OK

rockethead
03/19/2004, 03:53 PM
I read the article here: http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm which suggested that you buy sand from your local hardware store for your sand bed. THe article said to look for "Sugar Fine" sand. When I went to Home Depot today the only sand that I found that might work was rated as "30 Grit" . Does anyone know if 30 grit sand is fine enough for a sand bed?

K9
03/19/2004, 04:06 PM
What brand is the sand? What does the front of the bag say?

-K9

commandertekki
03/19/2004, 04:08 PM
I think that its ok. the thing people refer to is southdown which is oftern used because its aragonite, which has beneficial purpose of helping with pH stability.

The finer the sand the more surface area which is what Dr Shimek is refering to.

rockethead
03/19/2004, 05:42 PM
The bag says:

LANE MT. COMPANY
30 grit SAND

Silica Sand
Min. Net Wt. 100 lbs

The home depot employee said they sell that sand for Sand Blasting

bertoni
03/19/2004, 07:40 PM
Sandblasting sand should be fine, if the particle size is right. Can you get a sample to check it out?

Forget about aragonite helping with pH stability; see the chemistry forum for the details. It never helped my tank.

wee-reefer
03/19/2004, 08:27 PM
the size of "30 grit" refurs to the amount of sand, liad flat, that can fit into a 1"X 1" square. I wouldn't use silica sand at all, too much worry about diatoms growing. "Southdown" or "New castle" are fine.

bertoni
03/19/2004, 08:28 PM
Silica sand is fine; numerous people use it for their tanks. Check the chemistry forum for details on why it's not a problem. Bottom line: silica won't dissolve significantly in our tanks.