PDA

View Full Version : Found a red millepede looking thing in my filter

sickman
03/19/2004, 03:28 PM
I found what looked like a quarter inch long redish orange millipede bug in my filter today when I went to check it.

Is that bad?

mobius9oo
03/19/2004, 03:34 PM
Could have been a bristle worm??

Bitingthesun
03/19/2004, 03:44 PM
Yea, I second that.
From what I understand, and someone more experienced will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't harmfull in small populations.

I kinda like seeing them sqirm around.

sickman
03/19/2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Bitingthesun
Yea, I second that.
From what I understand, and someone more experienced will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't harmfull in small populations.

I kinda like seeing them sqirm around.

hehe, I hate bugs, they freak me out :eek1:

nanocat
03/19/2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by sickman
hehe, I hate bugs, they freak me out :eek1:
You're in the wrong hobby then :mixed:

Just don't ever look at your tank at night with a red flashlight, you may never put your hand in there again :p

sickman
03/19/2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by nanocat
You're in the wrong hobby then :mixed:

Just don't ever look at your tank at night with a red flashlight, you may never put your hand in there again :p

lol, why? what's in there? (running to the store to buy a red flashlight)

sickman
03/19/2004, 08:58 PM
the guy at the aquarium store said it was a bristle worm and I was lucky it ended up in my filter pad since you usually have to set traps for em. Also says I was lucky I didn't touch it. phewww.:D

sickman
03/20/2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by sickman
lol, why? what's in there? (running to the store to buy a red flashlight)

So I went and dug out my old boyscout flashlight with a red lens, left the light on the tank off an hour, came back and turned it on, OMG! there were so many little worms stretching out of hold eat stuff off the live rock, little tiny things that look like sperm swimming fast, guess they are a tiny shrimp of some sort. Never sticking my hand in that bug factory again!!

Anyone recommend a good pair of marine tank gloves? :lol:

Bitingthesun
03/22/2004, 10:08 AM
If that freaks you out, you should get a microscope and look at your drinking water!

lol

I was unaware that bristle worms were dangerouse.

k.

k.

nanocat
03/22/2004, 11:49 AM
Most bristle worms are actually good for the sandbed. Yeah, there's a lot of life in these reefs. You can get Aquagloves at many LFS or online vendors, or use plain (unpowdered) latex gloves. I usually don't bother...I've been "bristlewormed" a few times from handling live rock and it hasn't been a big deal for me (yet).

fastredponycar
03/22/2004, 12:04 PM
my LFS said not to touch them with your hands because the bristles are like little shards of fiberglass that will go into your skin and are IMPOSSIBLE to get out :( They advised me to leave mine in there since they're good scavengers and if they start to become over poplulated, there are fish to eat them or tweezers :D