PDA

View Full Version : lighting

Canuke
03/19/2004, 01:38 PM
I have a newer setup (6 months) and have been using standard florescents. As of last night the ballast no longer works. Now I can upgrade to VHO's, but don't know what I need. I would like to keep some corals and a small clam in the future. My tank is 30 gallons about 18" deep. Can someone help me? I plan on making the hood myself, including the wiring. Just don't know where to start. How much light do I need?

sylfish
03/19/2004, 03:10 PM
If you have a 30 g, and plan on keeping any clams, you will probably want at least 175 w Metal Halide retrofit unit with PC or VHO supplementing. If you are planning your own hood, also remember to allow space for fans to keep your h20 temp stable.

mobius9oo
03/19/2004, 03:22 PM
I agree, if you want a clam, go with MH. You will probably want an actinic supplement using either VHO or PC. I would prefer VHO myself. You may not like the cost of MH but you wont have to upgrade lighting again. You also wont be limited as to what you can keep.

Canuke
03/19/2004, 03:48 PM
I would like to go with VHO. Is there a general rule for how much watts?

commandertekki
03/19/2004, 03:54 PM
they say something like 8 watts per gallon, and some have had success with VHO. It depends. If you go with VHO.. have a clam in there.. and then it dies off. and you decide to go with MH as a consequence... then the cost will get you more in the long run. But if you have success and go with it the first time around.... more power to you.