PDA

View Full Version : planning an upgrade to a 75

johnsmb
03/19/2004, 11:59 AM
I have had my 25 gallon reef set up for about 6 months now. It has been very successful and I am really wanting a larger tank now :)

I think I am planning on a low-tech, really basic 75 gallon. Please let me know what you think:

75 gallon 48X18X20
no sump (saves a lot of $$ and I don't want the hassle)
icecap 660 ballast w/4 VHO bulbs for a total of 440 watts.
Aqua C remora skimmer OR an Aqua C remora pro skimmer.
80 to 125+ pounds of live rock, thin layer of live sand.
ro/di water filter
Maybe add a CPR hang-on refugium at some point.
And a couple of maxijets for flow and a heater.

That's about it. It is similar to how I operate my 25 gallon, except that my 25 doesn't even have a skimmer. I only plan to dose with B-ionic.

#1 - question on skimmer - I am thinking of going with the bigger remora pro since there will be no sump. But wondering if it is really worth the extra $75 from the basic remora?

#2 - Never done diy lighting before....Is a reflector in the canopy a necessity or is it optional?

I plan on keeping mostly softies, with a few LPS. And mostly smaller reef fish: clown, gramma, 6-line wrasse, etc.

Am I missing something? Comments?

K9
03/19/2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by johnsmb
#1 - question on skimmer - I am thinking of going with the bigger remora pro since there will be no sump. But wondering if it is really worth the extra $75 from the basic remora?

#2 - Never done diy lighting before....Is a reflector in the canopy a necessity or is it optional?

I plan on keeping mostly softies, with a few LPS. And mostly smaller reef fish: clown, gramma, 6-line wrasse, etc.

Am I missing something? Comments? #1) I'm not very well equipped to answer this for you since I don't currently have a skimmer on my 30g tank. If it's any help, I was going to get the AquaC Remora for my tank when I do decide to get a skimmer. It's rated up to 75g I think, so you might want to go w/the Pro version.

#2) If you buy retrofit lights for your DIY canopy, they will come w/reflectors already. Yes, reflectors will help tremendously when it comes to getting the most out of your lights.

#3) Your stock list sounds cool to me w/the lights you plan to get. Your fish will also get along well too. What kind of fish were you planning on for the "etc." part? A dwarf angel would be great for your 75g tank and the other inhabitants. If you get one, make sure you add him last. HTH

-K9

xfactor
03/19/2004, 08:59 PM
#1) I got a skimmer rated up to 300 gallon on my 29 :P I would go ahead and get the Pro it wont hurt anything and the one rated up to 75 only might hit its limit where the extra 75$ wont.

#2) Reflectors are just that, they reflect the light down into the tank which will put more thatn 440 watts in the tank vs it going else where.

MichaelD
03/19/2004, 10:14 PM
I'd get the remora pro with the mag 3 pump. Thats what origannly i was going to get but decided to go with a sump.

I'm guessing your getting a retrofit set. So it will come with a reflector.

Your stock list looks a lot like mine :) its fine. But a Dwarf angel might nip your corals its like a 50/50 chance. But I think i'm gonna take a risk on that one in my tank.

Aaron1100us
03/20/2004, 05:52 AM
I'd get a bigger skimmer. I'm using one that is rated at 250 gallons for my 75. You could do an open top fixture or you could buy or build a canopy to put a reflector in. Your lighting should be fine for what you want to keep.