PDA

View Full Version : Aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!! My boss is a moron!

FishBait
08/03/2000, 07:34 PM
Hello all. This may not be the place for this, but I needed to get it off my chest. Went in to work today and saw our new shipment of LR in the main tank. No curing, no nothing. After only a few hours in there the ammonia is over 6ppm, nitrite>3.0, and nitrate off the charts!! I thought he would have learned the first time, what can I do, I'm just "the kid who cleans the tanks". He makes me so furious sometimes. Anyway, thanks for lending your ears. On a brighter note, just added between 250-300 lbs. of HD sand in my 90gal., 5.5in. sand bed now. Looks great, but what is the normal time for it to clear up?

Q-ball
08/03/2000, 08:15 PM
To add a bit to this story...I ordered a longnose hawk from FishBait's boss to be delivered the same day as the liverock he ordered...Now, I knew the problems he went through last time & that FB explained the situation to him last time so I honestly thought he'd let him cure the rock in a tub as he suggested...I call today to check on my hawkfish & find out that he's in the SAME tank as the liverock!!! I am soooooo ****ed off!!! This is MY fish he's messing around with! Or, at least it was...I haven't paid for it yet, was gonna pick it up tomorrow but now I'm thinkin I'll leave it there & buy it from someone with a bit more common sense than cat-poop in Rosco's litterbox http://www.reefcentral.com/smilies/angryfire.gif Let's just say me & FishBait's boss is gonna have a day of reconing tomorrow :mad:

Q!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Got tired of the last signature, and haven't
come up with a new one yet, so go read something else
=;o)~

Agu
08/03/2000, 09:34 PM
Q, Whenever I order at the LFS I tell them to leave it in the bag and call me(their sg is 1.017). A lot less trauma for the fish, but I take the risk. BTW they cut the markup when we do that from 200% to 100%. Agu

bigben
08/03/2000, 10:42 PM
What a world we live in.....Sheesh!!

Ben

therman
08/04/2000, 01:09 AM
200% markup is all? the POSLFS i work at has 1000% markup on fish. no joke.

Fishguyis
08/04/2000, 06:41 AM
Q!!! GET HIM DUDE!!!!
Mark..... I had the same problem when I was working at a lfs, DUDE I know your pain!!! hehe. Its real frustrating!! but hang in there my friend and hopefully one day he will come to his sences and will realize you know what you are doing and He doesn't!!!

Have Fun......Reef Safe!!! :D :D :D

Green Mariner
08/04/2000, 09:05 AM
Where is this LFS, i to live in PA and would like to know. Thanks,
Check out>> :D http://members.home.net/greenmariner :D

billsreef
08/04/2000, 09:32 AM
FB and Q, Tell this guy to go buy some cheap rubbermaid vats and stick a PH in, and let him know this comes from a long time LFS profesional. I really hate to hear about other "profesionals" doing something that stupid, especially when the solution is an easy one.

------------------
Bill

If damsels grew as big as sharks, the sharks would run in fear!
My dive photos (http://hometown.aol.com/billsreef/)
ICQ 56222784

Afishianado
08/04/2000, 10:11 AM
Typical...I worked part time at an LFS for a while. Some owners never learn.

Chris

------------------
check out my tank here: http://www.geocities.com/cmrehder

Q-ball
08/04/2000, 01:12 PM
Well, here's how it went...I walked in like I didn't know that he put the rock in. I started off by asking him *** he was thinking putting that rock in there right from the shipper...he says "what do you mean?" I explain to him about the die-off on the rock (all the stuff he should know, right?) and that it should be put into a tub for at least a week or so to see how it does...He says, "what ammonia?" So FishBait chimes in for me then & mentions that it happened to get up to 6ppm last night..."Oh..." he sez...I told him I really didn't appreciate him treating my fish that way...we (FB & I) tested the water again and it was already down quite a bit (4ppm I think) after a water change on the tank last night. I ended up bringing the hawk home for the Q-tank, but I still owe him the money. He ain't gettin it if he doesn't make it through quarantine. I'm still ****ed, and this'll be the last fish I buy from there. The guy does good with his pond customers & freshie customers, but just won't do what it takes for the marine tank to do well. Sigh, and we wonder why lfs's get a bad rap? :confused:

Q!!!

------------------
=;o)~

dave2000
08/04/2000, 05:32 PM
Greetings-I am a teacher in a public school system. I have had students come to me with similiar problems-the boss does not think "kids" no anything.

If you are really frustrated you have to measure the level you want your job vs. the frustration you feel. If you are willing to risk possibly being let go then I would do the following.

As for a time to meet--that you have something you would like to discuss. You would like the meeting in a room with a table or something-not a meeting where you would be following him around the store as you talk.

Very politely ask him why he does not value your opinions. Respond to his answers with the fact you have knowledge in this area and show that by giving examples. If he still does not care print out the comments in this topic but eliminate the title about the boss being a moran. I am sure that would inflame him.

If he refuses to listen-you have a decision to make. Quit or put up with it. If there are other stores in the area print out this section. Show other store owners you were honestly trying to help--but working their is not going to work out for you. Then offer your services. [You can job hunt will still working at the place you work now] The hardest decision to make is to leave somewhere that is not a healthy place emotionally to work. However-sorry to preach here-this is a great learning experience. I see people who are in their thirties and forties complain like crazy about their jobs but do not have the "courage"" to change. Successful individuals change when it is appropriate and are happier for it. Yes-creating that change causes stress-but the results can be rewarding.

Yikes-I sure blabbered-sorry about that.

~dave

[This message has been edited by dave2000 (edited 08-04-2000).]

FishBait
08/04/2000, 07:51 PM
Hey dave2000, not too preachy at all. I had been considering leaving, but I only have about a year left till I leave for South Carolina to finish school. I have tried b4 to tell him about the situation, but he is bullheaded by nature. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, and as Q said he is good with customers, but he should just learn to step aside and let me do my thing. Dave, your words are encouraging and shall remember them when I'm hard-pressed again. In the meantime, I love the work and educating all of the newbies and/or aquarium ignorant. I figure I can handle it for the amount of time I got left. Thank you all for lending the support I needed to calm down a bit.

dave2000
08/04/2000, 10:34 PM
Just so you know I think you have every right to get upset. From what I read the mistakes he has made should never occur by an owner or boss of a store. If I was in your shoes I would be very upset also.

Hmm-isn't looking at fish and aquariums a calming influence. I guess not in your position. ;)

~dave

Agu
08/04/2000, 10:44 PM
FishBait, Glad Q didn't get you fired. Hang in there for the sake of the people you can help.

Q-ball
08/05/2000, 05:44 AM
Agu, I worried a bit about that as well, I made sure when I went in there & had my "conversation" that FB had no part in it, & I didn't refer to him either. His boss & I have had this conversation in the past, so it wasn't the first time he's heard it from me. I guess we're just hoping we can convert him to a responsible LFS owner so we keep trying. ;)

Q!!!

------------------
=;o)~