PDA

View Full Version : Boyd's Chemi-Pure. Better than regular carbon? Stabilizes PH? Lasts 6 months?

kbreese
03/19/2004, 09:27 AM
Wondering if anyone has ever done any actual tests or anything as I am very interested in this product as it claims to help stabilize Ph and also lasts up to 6 months. Comes in it's own pouch for convenience too...

Also, I am little confused how much to use. I have a 75g, according to the description it says two 10 oz pouches for 40-100 gallons, so I really need two? Reason I ask is it seems most people just use one...

prezioso73
03/19/2004, 12:04 PM
I add one pouch to my 200G system once a month. Works for me...

moogoomoogoo
03/19/2004, 12:26 PM
I have used this product in the past but can't really see any great difference as compared to when I don't use it. Probably adsorbs organics that yellow the water but so does carbon. I have never seen any real tests to validate the manufacture's claims. Does anyone even know what the stuff is? I would stick with carbon (its cheaper) and file this stuff under hocus pocus.

kbreese
03/19/2004, 01:31 PM
I did a little bit of searching and it appears quite a few people use it and are happy with it, but I just hate when things I spend my money on are a complete mystery and there is no telling whether other people's satisfaction with the product is merely a placebo effect...

I havent been running any carbon since I have had my tank going which is like 2 months now and the water has always been very clear, so I don't know, but it seems most people reccomend to run carbon especially if you have LPS and softies which I do...

Who knows... :confused:

Hobster
03/19/2004, 01:44 PM
I am interested in this also. I believe it is half carbon and half phosphate absorbent but not sure. Maybe post in the chemistry section? It sounds to good to be true and does not list the ingredients, kinda like that other "guys" magic potions.:D

bergzy
03/19/2004, 02:01 PM
i have been using chemi-pure before i started reefing. i used it on my angel and discus tanks. it did a great job at keeping the water crystal.

all i have now is sw (excluding the koi pond) and use it for that as well. i just leave a few bags in my 125g sump and change it whenever i feel like it.

great stuff!

holeinone1972
03/19/2004, 02:46 PM
I use it and love it.

The best part is when I need to harvest bugs, snails, and stars I just pull out the bag, and pick them off.

Rob

kbreese
03/19/2004, 02:58 PM
I think its safe to say that it will keep your water clear, but the questions still remain..

1.) is it any better than regular carbon. For example, Black Diamond carbon. If you ask about that you'll find even more people talking about how they use it and their water has always stayed clear.

2.) Can/does it really help stabilize ph?

3.) Is it really good for up to 6 months when regular carbon is only good for like a month?

If, so than why? What are the magic ingredients that allow the improvements over a basic quality carbon like Black Diamond. Or are people just wasting their money on advertising/false claims??

Randy Holmes? You out there? :)

Flanders
03/19/2004, 03:17 PM
Did you try doing a search on chemipure? I seem to recall Randy taking issue with those claims and saying he doesn't use the product.

kbreese
03/19/2004, 04:39 PM
Yeah I did, but I never came across that thread :confused:

Azurel
03/19/2004, 06:43 PM
I have used it before and it was good, I don't like the "New" Black Diamond, I wished they would have left it alone.I don't think it's as good as it was before and it leeches back more then it used to....

Flanders
03/20/2004, 11:56 AM
This probably doesn't help you at all. This is the thread I was thinking of though. It was more taking issue with language on the web site.

thread (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=161964&highlight=chemipure+OR+boyd)

I think it's safe to say that it's questionable this product could stabilize pH. I don't see how it could. It does have absorbing resins that may last longer than carbon. It's a mixture of carbon/resins from what I can tell. I've never used it, but was thinking about getting some too. I think I'll stick with carbon and good iron based phosphate remover personally.

kbreese
03/20/2004, 12:47 PM
thanks flanders