PDA

View Full Version : what do you feed your slugs

suckerfishdish
03/19/2004, 03:20 AM
i purchased a three slugs (you can see them in my gallery) i was just wondering is there anything special that people feed them to make sure their extra heathly. iv had them for about to weeks and they seem to be doing fine. i throw bioplankton by liquidlife USA, coralgrow by red sea, mysis and brine shrimp, blood worms, nad formula two in the tank for the anemone, mushrooms, shrimp fish, ect. (not at the same time I dont overfeed)

shawnz28
03/19/2004, 08:01 AM
The place to look would be here http://www.seaslugforum.net/welcome.htm . And my honest recommendation would be next time leave them at the store in hopes that the store will stop bringing them in for sale to all but the occasional customer who has the knowledge and want to take care of such an animal. Nudis in general are very difficult animals to keep in captivity for any length of time because most starve. To be able to feed it you will have to identify the species of nudi you have then find out what probably ONE thing it eats. Most nudis eat one thing and one thing only like a specific sprecies of sponge.

speccialj922
03/19/2004, 08:04 AM
not just nudi's for the future...

its very irresponsible of people to buy something, then read up about it. what if your tank could not properly house it? please people in the future, read up BEFORE going to the lfs. sorry if i sound mean, suckerfishdish, this isnt just steered toward you, alot of people do this.

RESEARCH THEN BUY (for anyone who may be viewing this thread)
justin

Peabody
03/19/2004, 10:45 AM
Agred. Take them back ASAP. They shouldnt even be collected. We cannot provide them with food. Then to make things worse, when one dies, he will kill your tank. REMOVE ASAP!

suckerfishdish
03/19/2004, 02:12 PM
you guys are right i should have researched them before i bought the slugs. the fish store wont take returns on saltwater fish. now that i have them, I have to do something with them. should i buy any parrticular sponges or sea squirts to at least make an attempt at keeping them alive.

Peabody
03/19/2004, 02:25 PM
It's impossible. Even if you could, it will still nuke your tank when it/they die. DOn't even ask for a return, just give it back. It will just harm your tank.

shawnz28
03/19/2004, 10:58 PM
In my opinion stores that sell items that are near impossible to keep without at least any kind of warning are ones I would stay away from. There is a store that has these instock all the time(or at least used to) and it drives me nuts.

Paul B
03/20/2004, 07:13 AM
That is not a slug it is a nudibranch. Nudibranchs are very specialized feeders. Slugs have no external gills and most of them are vegetarians, nudibranchs have feathery gills as yours have. I raise lettuce slugs (elysia crispata) which live mostly on light. Your nudibranch will only live a month or so. Sorry.