PDA

View Full Version : Any solid proof on the best tap water conditioner?

z6joker9
03/19/2004, 01:27 AM
I'm speaking solely from a commerical additive standpoint, I use distilled and DI water on my salt tanks, but I'm curious how the others rank for my use in my freshwater tanks, and to know what to recommend to customers at the pet store i work in.

I'm judging more than the ability to remove chlorine, but more or less the quality and the ability to do what it claims on the package(ie coating the fish, relieving stress, etc)

I have always been a fan of Kordon's NovAqua, but I've heard good things about Bio-safe/Bio-coat and Stress Coat. I have a hard time trusting anything from Tetra, and I do not trust any no-name brand. I know nothing about some big brands like Proquatics, so I have no opionon on them (though I will say I looked over some proquatics HOB filters and was somewhat impressed with the design and the information they provide on the box)

I do not know if it's new or not, but I noticed we just started carrying some made by Seachem called Prime, and a stress reliever called Stress Guard. I do hold Seachem in pretty high reguards, and the asking price is quite a bit higher than competitors, so you would assume it's good stuff.

Any input?

DaveC
03/19/2004, 06:12 AM
I do not have any proof other than keeping african cichlids, and a tank of South American Cichlids, 8 tanks in all, I used the stresscoat in all my freshwater tanks for tap water conditioner....worked great in my opinion, used to purchased the 1 gallon jugs from Dr Foster & Smith for around $25.00...alot cheaper than buying alot of smaller containers...16oz does not go far in 8 tanks all 30 gallon - 75 gallon tanks...

DaveC

z6joker9
03/19/2004, 01:37 PM
That was one of the things I was wondering... I have used stress coat before, and I send many customers home with it... but after reading the label on seachem's stress guard, it makes some claims that seem to take a jab at stress coat. I cannot remember specifically, but it was something to the effect "stress guard does not clog fish's something or another, as other 'stress reducer' products do"... my quoting was really crude but you get the idea. I'll try to find the exact quote and post it because I was wondering if it was true...

psiico
03/19/2004, 06:01 PM
Keep in mind that products which break down chloramine release ammonia into the water, so you want one that also detoxifies the ammonia. I like Ammex. Just my opinion.

z6joker9
03/20/2004, 04:20 AM
when products detox ammonia, do they just lower the alk? from my understanding, lower alk keeps ammonia toxicity down, which means you trade one thing for another. true or no?