PDA

View Full Version : So, what exactly does Cycle, Stress Zyme, etc, do?

z6joker9
03/19/2004, 01:19 AM
I do work at a pet store, and we've always had this stuff. MANY people swear by it, but as I did not know how it worked, I have never bought, used, or recommended it. I hate adding anything unnessesary to my tanks, or anything that I do not understand.

I believe there is a new one on the market, if i heard correctly, called Bio-Sprilia or something... is this the same as the other two?

Someone please explain to me how it works, if it does at all. I tried reading the bottle, but it was unclear and I hate to trust them.

ratherbediving
03/19/2004, 02:17 AM
I might be able to answer your questions, but this is from a freshwater perspective-- could be that saltwater folks have had different experiences or heard different things. Principles should be the same, though.

The basic underlying principle is to seed the tank with the bacteria that break down ammonia into nitrite, as well as the bacteria that break down nitrite into nitrate-- so that the user can cycle their tank faster. All of these products are optional that at best, save the aquarist some time during the initial cycling period. At worst, they are just a rip-off.

There is a product called Bio-Spira-- which is pretty expensive and must be kept refrigerated before it is used (which is why its hard to find mail order) which a lot of people swear by (actually a lot of people in www.cichlid-forum.com, which is where I am getting this info from). Anyway, the idea is this stuff contains live cultures of bacteria that will practically cycle your tank overnight (according to their testimonials).

I have used Hagen's Cycle. My tank (again, freshwater) cycled in a month with this product-- not much of a break, frankly-- although I didn't experience much of an ammonia spike or nititre spike during that time, and its possible that it did reduce the severity of those spikes.

I have never used stress zyme-- I am not sure, but is it that powder which is supposed to contain enzymes or bacteria that will help cycle the tank? If so, I believe that stuff is rubbish. Maybe it decays into ammonia, which helps speed up the cycle; but its probably just a waste of money. Just my opinion, though.

koj11
03/19/2004, 02:36 AM
So, what exactly does Cycle, Stress Zyme, etc, do?

Empty your wallet and make your skimmer go nuts....I think that about covers it. Save your money and leave the snake oils alone would be my advice.

gcvt
03/19/2004, 02:51 AM
Yup, it takes money out of your pocket and puts it in the manufacturer's pocket....that's all.

Steven Pro
03/19/2004, 08:55 AM
I agree. Most of these products are junk. The exceptions would be Marineland's Bio-Spira and Fritz-Zyme. These seem to work much better than the majority of quick cycle products.

rjwilson37
03/19/2004, 09:22 AM
I have cycled a tank with and without it, and cycling with it reduces your ammonia and nitrite spikes by alot. This way you can get fish/inverts in quicker and start your stocking. Not everyone has the patience to wait out a full cycle and don't mind spending a little bit of money for the benifit it provides. ($15 is like nothing when doing a reef aquarium)

I have one called Bacter Vital that most saltwater enthusiest's swear by for helping your bacteria's get started. The Cycle product also helps your fish's slime coat which makes them feel better (less stress) and not be so suseptable to parasites or disease. Like Marijuana for fish! hehe :) :)

ChasingPuck
03/19/2004, 09:52 AM
Many of the products do contain bacteria that will break down ammonia/nitrites--but they are not the strains of bacteria needed in the aquarium, and not the strains that survive in an aquarium. Since so many also contain other additives (aloe vera), I avoid them. Bio-Spira is the only product I've heard any trusted testimonials for, and even with it, I'd still rather fishless cycle and use it to speed that process up.

JMO

z6joker9
03/19/2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys, this has been pretty informative.

So from what I understand, these products to not "seed" the aquarium, but instead reduce the initial ammonia and nitrite spikes by adding bacteria that will eat it away(though not the type of bacteria that will grow in an aquarium) while the true aquarium bacteria has a chance to naturally grow.

Would this not slow the cycle in some way, or make you dependant on the Cycle additive? Or does the Cycle only reduce the massive spike that commonly happens with a beginner's heavy stocking, but leaves plenty of nitrogen to complete the natural cycle in normal time?

And also, Bio-Spirlia seems to be the "real deal"?

Thanks guys, keep the opionons coming

ChasingPuck
03/19/2004, 02:54 PM
These products won't extend the time needed to cycle, since they don't remove all of the ammonia/nitrite. The aquatic bacteria will continue to develop and grow even when the ammonia/nitrite levels are very low--consider a cycled tank. Bacteria typically have a short life span. Individual cells are constantly dying and being replaced, and consuming the ammonia/nitrites. Despite undetectable levels of these wastes using hobbyist test kits, we never worry that the bacteria will die off. Similarly, the growing colonies don't need a huge excess of food to continue expanding during the initial cycle of a tank.

Niven
03/19/2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by rjwilson37

I have one called Bacter Vital that most saltwater enthusiest's swear by for helping your bacteria's get started.

Ummmmmmmm, buy some live rock with that $15 and don't waste your time.

rjwilson37
03/19/2004, 06:53 PM
I have heard from many that it helps out, and I have wittnessed it myself first hand. So I, as well as other's around me, as well as alot here on RC use the Bacter Vital in a new tank setup.

Thanks!