PDA

View Full Version : Please help!! Advice on setting up new 90g

Coyle
03/18/2004, 10:40 PM
Hi, i'm new to the hobby, and am about to set up a 90gallon AGA (48x18x24), and do not know where to begin with the live rock. i was thinking about getting 2x 45-50lb boxes, but i am not sure what to get and where to get it from. i am more interested in getting large pieces with good porous shapes than getting a huge diversity of life, and as i am a college student, i am on a rather tight budget. im in no rush, any input will be helpful,

ALSO, i i need help with lighting. i plan to eventually house sps,lps, soft corals and maybe a clam or 2. i am under the impression from what ive read the ill need b/t 6-8watts per gallon. so i was thinking about getting 2 MH's and some VHOs for actinic lighting. I would really appreciate any input and advice on where i can get them the cheapest without burning my house down. I am good friends with an electrian, so DIY would be great if it can save me some money. Thanks a bunch.

bertoni
03/18/2004, 10:44 PM
For that tank, I'd use 2x250 W MH's. You can add actinic for looks, as you like. You'll find answers across a broad range of lighting options. HelloLights.com, Marine Depot, and Premium Aquatics are places to start looking for lamps. The DIY forum might have more information on building your own.

For live rock, that sounds like a reasonable quantity, but I don't know about the on-line vendors, myself.

SandFlea
03/18/2004, 10:54 PM
Most people I talk with recommends Tampabaysaltwater for their rock. Do a search for TBS. Dr. Mac also has some nice rock at good prices.

I don't think the watts per gallon is as important as light intensity and tank depth. It may be worth your effort to do some research into MH 250 watt HQI lamps. Just my 2 cents.