PDA

View Full Version : Still need suggestions

Winged Ocean
08/22/2001, 02:37 PM
Okay back again with the lighting needs. I have a 25gl tall...About 24 inches long and 19 inches high (hmmm, I'm not with my tank right now so I could have that backwards..hehe) Anyway, its tall. Its actually exactly half of a normal 55 gl....Anyway, I've still been reading posts on those Walmart shop lights that are 65watts and was wondering for my size tank, how many of these would work or would I need a backup light of some sort? I have flourescent bulbs on it now and the bummer is that my bulbs have a kelvin rating of - one is 18000 and the other is 6700. But again the wattage of them is ONLY 15w which sucks. So would these 65 watters with a kelvin of only 5500 (i think was what it was) hold up on my tank? The kelvin rating is awfully low on them. Sheesh! I am wanting to find a cheap alternative with my pc's i buy but I think I am confusing myself more by doing so. I dont want to order them off line and I do know a lfs that sells retrofit kits and if these Wallyworld lights dont work i prob will buy from my LFS. ANy comments would help me a bunch ...thanks again

Reef55
08/22/2001, 02:59 PM
I am thinking of setting up a similiar tank... for lighting I am going to go with PC's, or a single 175 watt MH. Check out ahsupply.com for a 2x36 or 4x36 watt PC kit. Half actinic half white and you should be happy, as well as your corals. HTH

Winged Ocean
08/22/2001, 03:11 PM
I dont really want to buy from the net..I have checked out those places and find that I can buy my lighting cheaper from my LFS or *maybe* from Walmart. So I am curious about those Walmart shop lights. Thanks

Winged Ocean
08/22/2001, 03:17 PM
Ok..just went back to the old post on these lights again. I think I am confusing myself more then anything. But even with their Kelvin rating, don't I need a bulb with a higher kelvin rating as well? If I went with one of these fixtures and kept my flourescent of 18000k on the tank would that work?