PDA

View Full Version : whats up with my cuke?

shan820
03/18/2004, 07:47 PM
My cucumber is doing something today that I have never seen before, and I dont have a camera. It looked like 'fuzzy white stuff' was hanging off him and I thought about giving him a squirt with the baster to remove it. First I turned off the actinic light to get a better look and this stuff immediatelyinternalized. Its as if he is putting his insides out, but as soon as the light changes, he pulls it back in. What is this? In the two months I have had him, I have never seen this. Any idea? Thanks.

shan820
03/18/2004, 08:22 PM
OK, so I did some research outside reef central and learned this may be a feeding process. I just find it odd that I have never seen this before, and peculiar that he retracts when the lights go down....

ladyfishkiller
03/18/2004, 09:03 PM
i have a cuke too. If its not his 'feeding tentacles' from his mouth end (good) maybe he shooting out his gut (bad) -but i hear they can suck them back in too.

newsalt1
03/19/2004, 02:53 PM
I have one that expelled his guts! Tank turned nastie real fast. Tossed an external filter on with carbon and did a 10 percent water change. The next day the water had pretty well cleared up Fred (the cuke) had finaly disconnected himself from his inards which I promptly removed. That was three weeks ago. I lost no other creatures or corals and Fred is still kicking to boot. He is not hisself yet, still very slow moving and sluggish but alive. I think I got lucky, and was also working on a very small bio load in a young tank.

Built

shan820
03/19/2004, 06:20 PM
Anyone know how to tell the difference between the two behaviors?