PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Leather

mobius9oo
03/18/2004, 06:31 PM
I have had a yellow leather for a little over a month now with great extension. It came on this awkward piece of rock so my more experienced buddy came over and chopped it off the rock. About half an inch of the stem is still on the rock, will this grow out????? Also he cut the leather in half and placed it in two spots in the tank. Its all shrivelled up now, I know this is normal, but is there a good chance that all will come back to normal, how long will it take for the coral to attatch to the new rock, its on there with a rubberband.

mandktod
03/18/2004, 07:40 PM
I got a small frag of green sinularia and stuck a tooth pick through it and in a week it was firmly attatched, from what I understand about leathers if there is any piece of it left on the rock it will grow back but how long I think varies according to your tank, water movement and params. I am by no means anything but a novice, this is just what I have gained from reading on the propogation forum.

mobius9oo
03/18/2004, 07:47 PM
Right, gotcha, I appreciate your input, I've never gotten a clear answer on how much movement the leather should have. Right now the leather is on the bottom half of my 10g tank with a powerquad(1x96) is the adequate?

mandktod
03/18/2004, 08:44 PM
I am under the impression that they like medium flow and light, I have some on the bottom and some mid way and all seem to be doing fine.

jdallred
03/18/2004, 08:53 PM
It is a toss up, all the pieces may survive and they may all waste away. I would try and get some low flow on them right now to help w/the healing process. Do you know how much light they were under before you got them? If the corals were under something close to what you have then they should be fine. If they were under something substantially less they may take some time to adjust, and with the added stress of being severally cut it may be too much.

mobius9oo
03/18/2004, 09:31 PM
I honestly dont recall what they were under, some of the polyps are already starting to come out. 4 hours after I cut it, so hopefully all is well with the new frags. The stem however, time will only tell with that. I dont expect anything from it, but if it grows, right on.