PDA

View Full Version : Adding KalkWasser to tank

Wildstar1063
03/18/2004, 04:17 PM
I don't currently have a drip setup or an electric doser, although I am looking at purchasing one or the other. I was wondering if
I can just add a mesured amount of Kalkwasser to my sump
each night? Current PH is 8.01 according to my PH meter

If the answer is yes how much should I add to my 55 gallon with
20 gallon sum/fuge?

I have been dosing B-Ionic 15ml from each bottle, but It is
kind of expensive, and I am running out, so I'd like to switch.

What is the best way to mix Kalkwasser? I've heard some people
mix it with VInegar and some don't reccomend it.

Thanks

Chuck

H.I.D. KEVIN
03/18/2004, 04:26 PM
I recently started a KALK drip on my tank. And, the general consensus was that the best way to add it was by a slow approach, thus the drip. I'm positive that one of the MASTER reefers will explain why for us. I have a idea as to why, but I don't want to confuse you!

Kevin

rockethead
03/18/2004, 04:58 PM
Just want to add myself to the thread. I am also contimplating using KalkWasser and would like to get some details.

Bruddah Chrispy
03/18/2004, 05:17 PM
Aloha kakou,

You should check the Reef Chemistry Forum for more details, but basically Kalk should be dripped to avoid a large swing in pH. There is a "slurry method" of adding kalk which allows you to pour in just enough that it doesn't raise your pH, but it requires you to know what that point is. Dripping is much safer.

FWIW - I set up a quick-and-dirty drip system with a 2.5g water dispenser, some air-line tubing, and some silicone caulk. It takes constant adjustment to match my evaporation, but it was easy to set up. I'm going to a peristaltic pump as soon as the tubing arrives later this week.

little_squid
03/18/2004, 05:50 PM
test ya ca and say its at 300 !! i add 1 tsp to 1 gallon milk jug let settle for 24 hours then syphon it off leaving the powder on the bottom !! depending on the size of the tank (mine being a 90 with 2 55 gallon fuges 30 gallon sump) i would add a half of a gallon and then test same time the next day!! if after ya added the half gallon it reads 400 ya know what that value of kalk will add to your tank at that time !! now depending on ya ca consuming animals this will increase in time so ya need to add more test test and test !!
now i just use a reg airline tube and syphon it into my sump via the full flow of the air line after some time it will clog up some and slow down the flow but never had any issues adding that fast !! but again have alot of water and flow (4000 gpr)!! other wise put a lose knot at the end to control the flow if that works for you !!

rockethead
03/18/2004, 06:07 PM
so how do you determine how much to mix. You said you use 1 tsp to a gallow of water. Is that determined by how much Kalk will go into solution or by how much you need to raise your CA?

little_squid
03/18/2004, 06:15 PM
imo thats just a good standard to mix 1 tps per 1 gallon of water ( leave the powder in the jug syphon the clear water out and dose that) !! in my system i add one gallon of kalk mix along with one gallon of fresh water every night !! i evaporate about 2 gallons a day ! but dont have that much ca using animals !! why its so important to test the same time everyday !! and adjust it from there !! so lets say after adding the half gallon of kalk and it raised from 300 to 350 then ya know that the gallon would prob rasied it to 400 right !!

Bruddah Chrispy
03/18/2004, 07:19 PM
I believe that 1t/g is how much kalk will go into solution. If you need to add more Ca/Alk you can add 1T/g Vinegar to increase the amount of kalk.

Another thing to note. The purpose of dripping kalk is to raise both Calcium AND Alkalinity in proportion. If you need to adjust one without the other there are other approaches. Dr. Randy has a really good article on it. I'll try to find a link and post it.

On edit: This (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm) is a great article on maintaining calc/alk.