PDA

View Full Version : Show and Tell, my first reef tank

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:46 PM
here are a few pics from my setup. just wanted to see what everyone has to say as it is my first time.

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:47 PM
too lazy to upload to webspace and put in html, so they are all attachments. in no particular order..........

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:51 PM
55g , 15g sump w/ refugium (no fuge lights yet). 260w coral life retrofit lights (attached to canopy w/ wires routed for removal. 2 maxi 400s w/ home-cut prefilters. mag7 in sump, 300w heater, UPS (battery backup for sump pump) 44lbs fiji LR (the only thing in tank) about 5"+ DSB (getting some live sand to get it cycling a bit faster), dual overflow box (cap-ed one end and used the other) Prizm skimmer.

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:52 PM
more

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:53 PM
comments welcome!

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:54 PM
and they just keep comming!!!

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:54 PM
last one, swear!!

Danables
03/18/2004, 04:00 PM
Nice sand storm! good luck man...

nevpugh308
03/18/2004, 04:45 PM
Good stuff ! And enjoy :) :) :)

Talonn
03/18/2004, 09:46 PM
Looks Great.

I just started out myself but with a lot smaller tank and no sump or fuge yet. Looks like you have a great start so far and wish you all luck in the future of reefing.

BTW, I am down in Lebanon and will be up in Columbia next week. I have been looking for some nice shops that carry good corals and fish as there are none down here. Any good suggestions in Columbia?

The only store I know of in Columbia is Pet Avenue Inc at 212 East Green Meadows Road off of South Providence Rd.

Thanks,

Talonn

pickle311
03/18/2004, 09:56 PM
Nice start. Just so you know, with that much water in your sump, it will overflow it the return pump loses power. The best way to check is to simulate a power outage, or unplug the return pump. What's in the return pipe is going to come back into the sump and the overflow is going to contine to pull out water until the level is to low. You need to make sure you have enough room in your sump to handle that amount of water, or else you will have a nice mess to clean up. HTH

SandFlea
03/18/2004, 10:16 PM
Very nice. Is that a DIY canopy?

irishpete
03/19/2004, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Talonn

The only store I know of in Columbia is Pet Avenue Inc at 212 East Green Meadows Road off of South Providence Rd.

Talonn [/B]

that is called Pisces Pets, they have a good selection of corals and fish. The guy to talk to is Brian.

I have been around to all the shops so here are a few more.

Callaway Pet Corral -- Pets
2010 S Business 54 Fulton MO

(he has a lot to look at, and has some fresh live sand and hermits for me next week) Guys name is Eric.

Carousel Pet Supplies -- Pets
2634 Industrial Dr Ste J Jefferson City MO

( great place, Tony is the guy to talk to, moderate selection and great prices, must stop on way thru)

Pets Plus -- Pets
3702 W Truman Blvd Ste 223 Jefferson City MO

(they have some variety, not too personal tho, not many corals)

Good luck!!

irishpete
03/19/2004, 12:13 AM
The sump pump is on a battery backup rated 15 min for 200w, the pump runs at 60w. So I covered my a$$ on that note, the power periodically blinks about once a month or so. Thanks for concern. appreciate comments.

The canopy was bought as a combo w/ 55g, stand and some good florecents I sold to my buddy for his freshwater tank. I bought a retro-fit light kit and screwed it to the lid and routed the wires and secured them. I used 1/4" spacers and it doesnt run that hot. The power supply is in the stand and the wires can be disconnected so that I can remove the lights and canopy in one piece, no lights falling in water!!

thanks for feedback!!

xxaquanutxx
03/19/2004, 12:17 AM
I noticed that you have some baffles in your sump.. I also noticed how high the water level was in there.. When you have it all running.. does the water actually go down and flow over the baffles.. or does it join the pool above the baffles..??

irishpete
03/19/2004, 12:36 AM
Flows thru the baffles, I added a piece of plexi glass after it was in place (so no sealant and glass) to add more flow, I dont think that was in any of the pics. There is plenty of current in the fuge, I can tell when I add my calcium supplements. I just need a little light that can fit in that small of opening, not in a hurry tho.

Oh yea, the water level stays even alway, just as much water I can pump into the tank the overflow will give it right back. The overflow pvc is 1" w/ ball valve and the output (to spraybar) is 1/2" pvc w/ ball valve.

I place my valves next to the sump so I can stop the sump any time and no overflow!! Tested OK! I also control the flow on my overflow with the ball valve, made it super-quiet!! but leave my pump wide open as not to put strain on it. Like clockwork....

Talonn
03/19/2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the info irishpete

I sure will check out the ones in Jeff city

Thanks again,

Talonn