PDA

View Full Version : Built in filteration tanks

jmorgret
03/18/2004, 03:04 PM
Been lurking and researching for awhile. My question: The tanks like the SeaClear System II with the built in filteration....are these any good? Do they really work? Seems to me like it looks too easy with these, so I am assuming there is a downside, but don't know what it is. For a newbie like myself, can I set up one of these and just go? Thoughts/feedback?

loserkidz
03/18/2004, 03:15 PM
I guess you would have to know what you are looking to do with the tank. when I say this I am asking is it going to be a reef tank, fish only or fish only with live rock. the system II that I use to have had a compartment in the rear of the overflow and that is where all the filtration is housed. When you are using live rock, the rock acts as the biological filtration which the syste II uses the bio balls to grow the beneficial bacteria for filtration. It first has a mechanical filtration aka floss or what have you and then the bio ball and then amy other media you would use and then pumped back into the tank. the tank I had worked great cut when I added teh live rock I just chucked out the bio balls anyways. hope this help, jut decide wht you are planning to do with teh tank today and further on the line so you don't have to keep upgrading.

INNOVATOR
03/18/2004, 03:17 PM
SeaClear makes wonderful aquariums, but the filtration is geared towards fish only type tanks if you are referring to their bioball setups and/or reefready prefilter rigs. A simple setup would be a SeaClear w/built-in overflow (they can drill holes for returns for you), add a sump and in-sump skimmer, a return pump, and off you go :)

jmorgret
03/18/2004, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the input. I was just planning a FOWLR tank. So with the live rock, I wouldn't need the bio ball section? I saw a tank like this, is this basically the same thing?

INNOVATOR
03/18/2004, 03:40 PM
SeaClear has different filtration setups, but yes the picture is basically what they tend to offer filtration wise. As long as routine maintenance is acted upon a bioball system can work; however, why overcomplicate matters when enough liverock can do the filtration for you, not to mention adding a quality skimmer?

MichaelD
03/18/2004, 09:03 PM
Bioballs usually build up nitrates over time. And Live Rock defeats the purpose of having some. Maybe you could use the extra room as a refugium.