PDA

View Full Version : SEAHORSES your thoughts in the tank?

scoops212001
03/18/2004, 02:45 PM
i see alot of people say to put them in a species only tank, but i also saw people that have alot of fish in there tank and seahorses and they all do fine. i want one but before i do anything fot know on i seek your guys help first.......... thanks

INNOVATOR
03/18/2004, 03:09 PM
Well, for one I will say they are not for beginners since they tend to require more dedicated care, but to answer your question: most recommend specie only tanks because they are not fast movers (usually require less water motion) and often get outcompeted for food; however, you could mix them with very shy or very community type fish. They also prefer taller tank types because of their particular swimming styles. Some corals can sting your horses as well since they like to hitch themselves.

I'd definitely recommend tank-bred and raised species.

ChasingPuck
03/18/2004, 03:31 PM
Agree. They can be mixed, but only with caution and research. Keeping them well fed is a challenge--I can't feed them 2-3 times a day, so don't get them. They do require a different setup than other shy fish, since they don't need niches to duck into, but things to wrap their tail around and 'hitch' to. A tank could provide both, but would require planning.

god_of_wolves
03/18/2004, 03:35 PM
I third that motion...

scoops212001
03/18/2004, 04:09 PM
what fishes are good for seahoreses to hang out wilth?

INNOVATOR
03/18/2004, 05:36 PM
I forgot to mention, it would be in your seahorses best interest to have a fuge up and running with dense pod life ;)

Some fish that can be housed, depending on tank size are: True/False Percs, Firefish, gobies/blennies, 6line wrasse, dwarf angels, etc etc...