PDA

View Full Version : Is superglue safe to use in tank/under water ?!?

nevpugh308
03/18/2004, 02:21 PM
Its not that I doubt DrMilhouse, it's just that I want to be utterly safe before I possibly kill my snails !!! :)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=339116

nanocat
03/18/2004, 02:38 PM
As long as it's superglue (cyanoacrylate) and not some other substance, glue away :D

Reefers been using superglue gel for years now.

reefgal
03/18/2004, 02:39 PM
Yes, the gel superglue is used to attach coral fragments by many hobbyists. The same with the underwater epoxy. It is safe to use and will cure under water.

nevpugh308
03/18/2004, 02:43 PM
Brilliant, thanks .... I'm just about to glue the suckered-hanger for the 802 PH to the tank wall, coz it just keeps on slipping south ! (the PH is too heavy for it's bracket, IMO ... it was fine when I attached the PH when the tank was dry/empty, but now it's been on/off a few times, the dratted things just too Bon Jovi *)

(* Slippery when Wet, for all you youngsters ;))

jdallred
03/18/2004, 03:14 PM
Be careful actually glueing under the water, IME the glue can float around in the water and land on anything, including things that are alive.

manderx
03/18/2004, 03:29 PM
it probably won't stick to glass. certainly won't stick to wet glass. 'wet' cured superglue needs texture to grab onto, it doesn't stick as an adhesive but more of a mechanical bond. and make sure you turn your pumps off when you superglue. a strong stream will blow a glob of glue off and fish *will* think it's food.

suction cups are worthless. you might have to bend some acrylic to make a over-the-edge-hanger.

nevpugh308
03/18/2004, 03:39 PM
Drat ... once again, both feet ...

Well, I've put the glue on and it's curing (or not, as the case may be) as I speak. I'll report back in 20 mins (give it plenty of time, eh ? ya never know) whether it worked or not on glass :)

I put the glue in the "cups" so there's no chance of any getting free (oh, and also there's no fish in the tank yet, and I dont think the turbo's are fast enough should a blob go walkies)

nevpugh308
03/18/2004, 04:30 PM
You were right. Didn't stick diddly squat. Chocolate teapot territory.

So I've rigged something up that's actually quite effective, so I'll log it here for others.

The suckers were fine at gripping the glass if you tried to pull them off, it was sliding sideways on the glass that was the problem. So I've put a non-corrosive screw into the side of the hood just above where the PH is, and I've looped a length of thin, plastic covered electrical wire (the same colour as the background) around the bottom of the PH bracket, and tied it to the screw above.

Result : one powerhead that's not perpetually slipping down ! Simple and effective !

DaveJohnson
03/18/2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by nevpugh308
and I've looped a length of thin, plastic covered electrical wire (the same colour as the background) around the bottom of the PH bracket, and tied it to the screw above.
That wouldn't be copper electrical wire would it? Is it submerged? (can't tell from the description of where it attaches to the PH bracket)

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

TippyToeX
03/18/2004, 04:57 PM
How about taking the powerhead or bracker out and gluing it to a magnet cleaner (the inside piece of course). Then put the other end on the outside to secure it in place. No slipping then. :)

nevpugh308
03/18/2004, 06:23 PM
< < That wouldn't be copper electrical wire would it? Is it submerged? > >

It is copper wire, but I've pulled the wire bit out so there's only the insulation (plastic) left .... anyway, the "ends" (i.e. the only bit where there might be any copper exposed) are well out of the water, it's only the insulation that's under water. But good thinking, and worth mentioning :)

I tried messing with magnet cleaners, but this is a BIG powerhead with a filter attached, and even with two of my current magnets on it sank like a stone ... it would have to be a damn big magnet :)