PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin Dragonett - tankmates?

AndyL
03/18/2004, 12:45 PM
Hey folks,

Well I did go out and get that mandarin dragonett - he's happily decimating the pod population in his new home (29g w/ 20g fuge)

Once he settles in a bit more - I'd like to add something else to the tank. As he seems to enjoy staying out of sight (my rockwork doesn't help; he's got LOTS of places to hide)\

I don't want to put him at all at risk, so can anyone recomend some inhabitants that he would get along great with? I'm planning to add a couple shrimp and 1-2 more fish. The tank is about to get some zoos and leathers - so it would be nice if they weren't eaten...

Current inhabitants are limited to a 4 blue legged crabs, and some nassarius and astrea snails.

Andy

LOTUS50GOD
03/18/2004, 01:21 PM
not many community reef fish will pick on the manderin. I would say maybe a yellow watchman goby, or maybe a royal gramma.

ChasingPuck
03/18/2004, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't add anything that will go after the pods--you'll be hard pressed to keep him well fed as is. Mandarins are actually safe with most other fish, especially other reef-safe fish. Just avoid the other dragonettes and you should be fine.

We kept our mandarin in with just corals for 6 months, then moved him to a FO tank with a trigger, lion and eel. The trigger was the only fish to show any interest, and he would back down as soon as the mandarin flared. The eel and the mandarin would hang out together.

AndyL
03/18/2004, 04:30 PM
ChasingPuck: Only bought him after some research, and watching him repeatedly eat frozen mysis, and even try to eat some ON2 flakes (he did spit them out - but at least he tried right!). I'm not overly worried about keeping him well fed - that and the 29 is overrun with pods, the 20g fuge isn't much better... He should stay well fed I hope.

Andy

reelheel
03/18/2004, 05:17 PM
Every tank needs a pair of clowns IMO.
Colorful,
Personable,
Hardy,
Relatively inexpensive,
Captive Raised,
reef safe,
most are docile,

...shall I go on?