PDA

View Full Version : gold bar maroon - parents!

rhdoug
03/18/2004, 11:19 AM
The eggs that the clowns laid a week ago hatched last night in the reef tank. Unfortunately I didn't see it happen. Of course there were no survivors. I wouldn't have been able to care for them, properly anyway, right now but at least the pair is healthy, happy, and fertile! It was fascinating to watch the eggs go through the color changes, and to see the eyes develop in the last couple of days. The little male was quite the guardian of the eggs, and the big female kept everything away from him. They both continued to feed normally. Apparently they should spawn again in a couple of weeks if things go according to the norm. After reading the Wilkerson book on rearing clownfish, I'm not sure I'm up for raising the babies, but will probably give it a shot sometime in the next few weeks if the opportunity is there. I'll need to speak with Adam and get up to speed with rotifer care, set up a brine shrimp hatchery...

Anybody want baby maroons if this works?

Tomzpc
03/18/2004, 11:27 AM
Very, very cool Randy! :thumbsup:

nine9d
03/18/2004, 11:49 AM
Congrats DAD!

http://www.trousseaux.com/images/cigar.jpg

masterswimmer
03/18/2004, 07:44 PM
:bum:

I'll take one of those Ross, Congrats Randy.

Russ

Tomzpc
03/28/2004, 10:54 PM
How about an update?

nine9d
03/28/2004, 11:52 PM
Baby Maroons would be excellent. But my daughter wants "NEMO's" of course.

rhdoug
03/29/2004, 12:09 AM
Funny you should ask, Tom. They spawned again last night. Looks like about twice the amount of eggs this time. I may try and keep the next batch, (if there is one) this one will have to feed the tank again.

masterswimmer
03/29/2004, 12:30 AM
Sounds like you've got a real nice setup there Randall. Spawning like that means they are very comfortable in their home. Good job. Can't wait to see it.

Russ

rhdoug
03/29/2004, 08:55 AM
Here is mama with the new batch of eggs, laid 3/28, visible to the upper right of the pic. There is a tiny spot of maroon just behind mama's tail, that is dad completely covered up in bed. The pic is taken with flash before the tanklights come on, the only time the anemone is contracted enough for the eggs to be visible. It has been 17 days since the first spawn.

andro
03/29/2004, 09:03 AM
That is just too cool.

-Ian