PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to clean around the tank?

shannonbarry
03/18/2004, 11:10 AM
I was wondering how prevelant a problem cleaning products are for a tank with no top? My LFS said that I can't use Windex to clean my tank glass because of the amonia in it. I have been using white viniger to clean it carefull not to get it into the tank. He also says to be careful using floor cleaner on my tile floor for the same reason.

I was wondering what products are safe for cleaning because I realy don't like the smell of viniger. Can I use some of the orange based cleaners or some thing else that is not so stinky. It just smells rotten.

Thanks in advance
Shannon

Mexican Hermit
03/18/2004, 12:12 PM
You should not have a problem. As far as I remember Windex also makes a vinegar based cleaner that does not smell that much of vinegar. Do not worry about the floor cleaner it will not harm your tank. Just make sure no type of cleaner goes into the tank.

shannonbarry
03/18/2004, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know if the "Swiffer" solutions are safe?

Shannon

DaveJohnson
03/18/2004, 03:03 PM
For cleaning the tank glass I use tap water to wet the glass and a hand held squeegee (like you use on your windshield at the gas station only smaller) that I got from Home Depot.

Really works well and no chemicals to worry about.

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

FishhyRen
03/18/2004, 03:08 PM
vinigar and a damp paper towl work really well to get salt creap and other aquarium dirts up from around your tank--

bertoni
03/18/2004, 11:02 PM
I use Windex on my open-top tanks all the time. I spray it onto the rag either in a different room, or I wrap the rag around the nozzle before squeezing. I avoid letting the cleaner get airborn. It's probably safest to pour it on the rag.

I also don't use very much of the stuff, just enough to get it clean. If I had something really stuck, I would use a razor blade, vinegar, etc., rather than loading up the air with ammonia.