PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Quiet Overflow?

Kaiser Tang
03/18/2004, 10:44 AM
I've recently set up my 92 gal. tank. and my wife is already wants me to take it down. Ok, it's not that bad yet, but it will be if I don't get a good solution. There is always going to be some noise, but right now you can hear the water through the entire house.

The water goes through the overflow and spills down into the bottom of the overflow, creating a loud splashing sound. What's the best way to quiet the noise? Do I put something at the bottom of the overflow that will absorb the splashing water or do I raise the water level in the overflow so the water doesn't have as far to fall? Suggestions?

stolen_pass
03/18/2004, 10:53 AM
Is it a built in overflow or a Hang on?

The guy I purchased my tank from actually cut out a piece of Acrylic perfect to cover the open back of my Hang On Overflow. It quieted the tank down ALOT. Now all you can hear is the Skimmer.

Kaiser Tang
03/18/2004, 11:17 AM
It's a built in overflow. Yea, part of the top that came with the tank covers this area and it does help, however, the over flow is about 25" tall and there's only 6" of water in the bottom of the overflow. So, the water is falling 19" and with my Mag 12 pumping at a rate of at least 1000gph, it makes quite a racket.

Henna Ojisan
03/18/2004, 11:22 AM
Do a search on Durso standpipe. It fits in your overflow and raises the water level to a couple inches below the top.

Here is a link: Durso Standpipe (http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/standpipe/standpipe_menu.htm)

This should fix it...

Good Luck!!

NeuroLarry
03/18/2004, 11:32 AM
The durso should do the trick, easy to build may take some adjsutment of the top air hole to prevent the flushing sound but it will no longer wound like Niagara Falls.

Kaiser Tang
03/18/2004, 11:40 AM
That's exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks!!!!

lilbuddy
03/18/2004, 11:43 AM
im going to use durso's in my tank too.. you can also look into the stockman stand pipe.

NoobieNemo
03/18/2004, 02:26 PM
how about if you dont have a built in?how do you quiet it down then?

AZDesertRat
03/18/2004, 02:32 PM
A Stockman standpipe will also work in hang on overflows.

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:01 PM
add a ball valve in your plumbing close to sump. That way you can adjust the flow and equalize it with your pump, thats what I did and it works great, also I cut some plexi-glass and put it over the top of my overflow box, that helped greatly.

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:17 PM
like this

irishpete
03/18/2004, 03:19 PM
overflow box top, made of plexi

RJSorensen
03/19/2004, 01:02 AM
I would never choke down a drain, i.e. use a valve in the return line(s). A durso stand pipe will stop the fall of water, to two inches or so, it will be silent after what you have been hearing. Put a air valve to adjust the vent hole size and keep you return in you sump only one or two inches, no deeper.

reefitup
03/19/2004, 01:04 AM
I've heard you can insert some air line tubing into a drilled tank's overflow to help stop it from 'flushing' so loud?

Anyone else confirm this?

irishpete
03/19/2004, 08:23 AM
The drain pipe is run at a 45degree angle so there is plenty of pressure and I have had zero problems with my setup.

Kaiser Tang
03/19/2004, 11:09 AM
Well, I've got it. Zero noise. I had to come up with my own version of the stockman and durso. I took a piece of pvc and cut slits in it with my mitre saw. About 8 slits on both sides. Then I put a prefilter over the slits (I don't want all of that debris in my sump). Then I put a cap on top. I drilled a 1/4 hole in the cap and ran 1/4 tubbing (the kind you use with your RO/DI unit) down the pipe as far as I could. It works great!! I couldn't use the durso version, I didn't have enough room. I put a ball valve on the drain to tweak the level of the water in the overflow. Works really good. Maybe I should name this version after myself. :) lol

jamison
03/19/2004, 01:14 PM
I filled both my overflows with bioballs. It is much, much quiter.

Kaiser Tang
03/19/2004, 01:20 PM
I tried ping pong balls ('cause I didn't want to deal with any nitrate problems) and it made things a little more quiet, but not much. It may be due to the fact that my tank is so tall. Ayway, I'll try to get a pic of what I did in case anyone else is interested.

Henna Ojisan
03/19/2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Kaiser Tang
I couldn't use the durso version, I didn't have enough room.

Me either originally - I had to mod the durso to make it fit, here's a pic: You can see the 2- 45 deg elbows that were needed and some creative trimming on the T and other parts...
http://www.jasonandyoko.com/Images/40aquarium/images/IMG_3076.jpg

Kaiser Tang
03/19/2004, 03:45 PM
That's pretty good! I didn't think of that. I think I have even less space than you. I've got my overflow and return in a space not much larger than what you have shown.

AZDesertRat
03/19/2004, 04:35 PM
The new modified Stockman takes up a lot less space than the one in the above picture does.

Henna Ojisan
03/19/2004, 10:31 PM
I didn't try the stockman as I already had started on the durso. That is 1-1/4" pvc and the overflow box is 5"x5". It fit, but with lots of trimming and re-trimming. My returns come into the tank via a SCWD and a couple U-tubes so I didn't have to worry about fitting anything else in that overflow...

Anyway - good luck all!!:thumbsup:

Elmac1
03/19/2004, 11:06 PM
There is a VERY simple device that makes the overflow absolutley silent but I don't know what it is called. I have the exact same tank. I bought the Allglass overflow kit. It has a plastic part that slides down the overflow tube. It has a bubble at the top such that it looks like a microphone. Drop it in and noise is gone. You will propbably need to raise the stand pipe to kill the waterfall sound. FWIW, best $40 I ever spent

reefitup
03/19/2004, 11:08 PM
do you have a picture of that by chance Elmac1?

RJSorensen
03/20/2004, 12:34 AM
Yes a piece of plastic tube or hose down the drain pipe will stop the noise . . . but on restart with high flow systems, lol won't let the flow down fast enough to stop an overflow. On lower flow setups . . . it will work fine. You need a foot or a little more and just 'listen' as you slide it down the tube. You will 'hear' when you are in the right spot. Works for many 300 gph and under setups. Not for 600, lol or above with inch drains.

I have the All-Glass overflows noted above. They are not as quiet as a durso, at least to me. I am going to take mine out and durso them on my 180.

Elmac1
03/20/2004, 10:16 PM
Reefitup,

I have a pic. Having trouble posting it. Will keep trying