PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Stopped??

Darlene
03/18/2004, 07:45 AM
I've got a 30 gallon that has been set up for 8 months. Last week I set up my Prizm HOB skimmer and thanks to some folks on here was able to get it going good and doing what it was suppose to. Yesterday morning I came downstairs and it was running dry. I mean it was still trying to suck up water but it didn't have enough suction (or something) to get the water all the way up and in. So I unplugged it, let it sit for a while just in case it needed to cool, even though the motor did not feel hot. Then I plugged it back and got it going again. This type of skimmer has a valve that regulates how much water goes in and I have it set to where it is almost closed. If I do much more I get too many bubbles and to much wet foam. It has now been running for 24 hours and it has pulled out about two tablespoons of green stuff.

My question....does it sound like it is doing what it's suppose to do? I have read that folks empty their cup a couple of times a week. The rate mine is going I wouldn't need to emtpy it except once a month. I mean I will, just so it doesn't look nasty. I'm tempted to open the valve just a tad more but wanted some experienced opinions first. Thanks in advance!:mixed:

crzy4reefs
03/18/2004, 08:33 AM
it sound like it's doing what it's supposed to do. i don't have that type of skimmer i have a berlin skimmer. and i empty only about 2T about 2x a week. so long as it's collecting something you should be fine.

Darlene
03/18/2004, 09:49 AM
Okay, thanks. I'll just leave it where it's at right now. And hopefully it will keep running.

fkbsar
03/20/2004, 06:46 PM
Can you give me the website or phone number to Prizm? Someone gave me one and I don't know how to get it started.

Darlene
03/20/2004, 06:55 PM
Their website is www.redseafish.com

Phone number 281-447-0205

What model is it? I've just got the basic one and I'm very new at all of this. But I've got the manual and mine is up and running (at times) and I'll help you out if I can.

fkbsar
03/20/2004, 07:00 PM
Thank you. I don't even know the model will look and see and let you know.