PDA

View Full Version : 58mm vs 52mm Macro Lens for Powershot G5

Mark Anthony
03/18/2004, 01:39 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am considering buying the Hoya +1, +2, +4 macro set from Lensmate (http://www.lensmateonline.com). I already have both the 52mm and the 58mm adapters.

Do any of you have any opinions why it would be better to go with the 58mm macro set vs. the 52mm macro set?

On the Lensmate site they provide a link to help you make your decision, and from looking at that I am leaning towards the 52mm macro set. Anyone have any reasons why they would go with the 58mm macro set?

Thanks everyone for your opinions!

gregr
03/19/2004, 12:04 AM
58 is a slightly more common filter size and if you ever upgrade to a slr there is a decent chance you'll buy a lens that has that [58]thread size.
greg

Mark Anthony
03/19/2004, 02:26 AM
Greg,
I am not completely sure what an slr camera is......

But what you are saying is that if I get the 58mm macro lens, it will fit on the slr camera if I ever decide to upgrade since 58mm is more common?

Other than that, will I get better photos with using a 58mm lens vs. a 52mm?

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, I am still very new at this.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Thanks again!

gregr
03/19/2004, 09:54 AM
no stupid questions- if you're not sure then there are others out there that are not sure either- always more to learn....
your pictures will be the same with either filter size.
slr-- single lens reflex. most 35mm cameras are slr's. the basic difference between an slr and a point and shoot is that you can change lenses (lenses of different focal lengths) on the slr. the whole lens comes off the body and a new one attaches.
the lenses that go on the slr's take filters just like your camera. and of course they come in different diameters [filter sizes], and 58mm is a fairly common filter size. the very common and very excellent 100mm lens that Canon makes is 100mm.
hope this helps,
greg