PDA

View Full Version : Blue Linka- Help ASAP

z6joker9
03/17/2004, 11:49 PM
OK, the thought has never crossed my mind to buy a blue linka, as i've always heard they are hard to keep. If you do not care to find out why I have one in my possiesion right now, but would still like to help answer my questions, scroll down to the three stars (***)

However, I work at a petsmart, and we only sell freshwater fish. many people bring in fish they cannot keep and we adopt them out to other people for free. I've picked up a few fish from time to time with this method, mostly african cichlids.

Today a co-worker with a new salt setup came in with purchases he made while in memphis, a two hour drive from us. I've been trying my best to direct him to a good start, but he is eager and selectively listens to my advice(as do most customers, but that's another story). Among his purchases, he had a blue linka star. I was upset knowing a LPS sold it to him when they knew he had a new tank. They at least told him to acclimate it for 3 hours, but to him that means just let it float in the tank. I explained they are extremely hard to keep, and the more I told him about it, the less he wanted it. He offered to give it to me, knowing my tank has been set up for a year or two and is much more stable, and I took it figuring it would die otherwise, in his month old 55 gallon tank with 10lbs of live rock....

NOW, it's sitting in a bucket, drip acclimating. as i said, i know NOTHING about them other than they are hard to keep. I fear it has been exposed to air while in the bag during his trip at some point, but i cannot be sure. It seems to still be alive, as he slightly moves every now and then, but if I had to guess, I would say he's seen better days.

What do i need to keep him alive and healthy? from a search, i found a little relative info, but some conflicting. Some say they need target feeding, some say not, and some say no one knows what they eat. Anyone have a more definite answer?

How long should he acclimate? should i throw a heater in the acclimation bucket, since it may take a while and since they are not the same right now? The tank is currently 80 degrees, while his acclimation bucket water is 72. I would not guess the drips from the tank will raise it a full 8 degrees.

Any help or advice would be greatly apprieciated!

rjwilson37
03/17/2004, 11:59 PM
If you have plenty of algae for him to eat then he should do ok, you could try to slip some Mysis under a leg to see if he takes it, it is great if you can get them to eat from you.

Mine does not take anything I give to him (maybe in time he will), I have had him about 3 months now. He does not move to much during the day while your watching him, it is like he knows your watching. An hour later I come back and it is like where did he go now. Sometimes he will sit in an area for 2-3 days, he must be full and not to hungry, but all in all I think he is doing well.

Only time will tell, but alot can not keep them for more than a few weeks before they die and some even die after 3-4 days.

Mine was exposed to air when I transfered him into my tank, that is the only time and I also touched him then and about 5 times since. I had to move him when cleaning the glass and he fell on corals, or he was just sitting to long (a day) on a zoanthid patch.

Good Luck! ( They move very very slow, unlike my Sand Star )

z6joker9
03/18/2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by rjwilson37
( They move very very slow, unlike my Sand Star )

I guess that is what I am not used to, as I have a brittle and a serpent and they are relatively quick.

Any insight on the acclimation? temp has dropped to 71, I suppose the ambient temp in the room is somewhat cool :(

nanocat
03/18/2004, 12:47 AM
I would definitely heat the water he's in. Either with a heater, or you could put the bucket in a tub of warm water, which should raise the temp a little.

z6joker9
03/18/2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by nanocat
I would definitely heat the water he's in. Either with a heater, or you could put the bucket in a tub of warm water, which should raise the temp a little.

i need to figure out something... it's down to 69 degrees, and i cannot fit my extra heater into the bucket without placing it directly on top of the star.

would it be ok to float a bag of warm water in the bucket? it will not be easy to put the bucket in a tub of warm water, but if nessesary, i can.

z6joker9
03/18/2004, 02:35 AM
oh, btw, there is something coming/hanging out of his "mouth"... *** is it?

edit: well, he is in the tank, but he's not doing a whole lot. he more or less "conformed" to the rock he's on, but not moving otherwise. I suppose i'll know something better by morning...