PDA

View Full Version : Newbie help

sfxer02
03/17/2004, 10:06 PM
Okay i have a 75 gallon tank and stand and a 20 gallon extra tank for a sump can someone give me a list of everything i will need to start up a reef with fish tank( sump,supplies and equipment,. I have th emoney and have beed reading around just looking for someone in the hobby that has a set up to give me a list of what they have and what would be a good idea for me to get if you want to email it to me that would be fine or just post it here sfxer02@yahoo.com

thanks in advance

SandFlea
03/17/2004, 10:26 PM
I would recommend doing a lot of researching. There are enough lighting variations, someone could write a book. Not to mention skimmer, pumps, substrate, etc.. The first thing to do is to decide which type of coral you want to keep. That will determine the lighting needed,water current,etc...

Brewboy74
03/17/2004, 10:26 PM
A question for you. What kind of corals do you want to keep? This will impact the type of lighting you need and how much flow you want in your tank.... i.e. how many and what kind of power heads to use. Besides that you need a return pump and those are personal perferance. I am setting up my 110 gal tank and am going with a Blueline pump that Premium Aquatics sells. They are just like Iwaki's only cheaper. You will most likely need/want a skimmer. Highly reguarded brands are EuroReef, Aqua C, and My Reef Creations. I personally am going with a MR-1 from My Reef Creations. You can't beat their service. I emailed Adam (think thats his name), with a question and he emailed me back within five minutes and it was at 8 pm! Heaters, going to need a couple of those, Won Pro and Ebo Jager are the two big players there. Basic supplies: Net for fish, Magnet for cleaning algae off the glass, Water containers(I am using to 33 gal Brute trash cans). You also want to thing about an RO/DI unit to purify water. I have a Kent 24 gal per day RO which I got used with my tank and other things so I have no recommendations there. HTH

cwbroden
03/17/2004, 10:28 PM
Pick up a book like The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta. An excellent book on getting started.

hoffmann
03/17/2004, 10:32 PM
Check out this link-cut and past, follow to page 3.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.htm
Also, if you click on the profile of different"Tanks of the Month", it will give you a good idea of different setups. For example, different lights for different type corals, coral compatability. Also, do searches in the forums on equipment setups.. There could be a 50 page write up answer to your question.. It's just one of those things that needs to be researched because there is no one way of doing things in this hobby. Patience, research, time, and going slow are the keys to a sucessful reef keeping experience. Also, sharing what you do know with others that have begun their journey into what works with what. Good Luck :)

hoffmann
03/17/2004, 10:33 PM
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta=An excellent choice!!

sfxer02
03/17/2004, 11:35 PM
thanks for everything guys!! I am real excited