PDA

View Full Version : My Nemo

Lyzann
03/17/2004, 08:32 PM
My clownfish (ocellaris) always seems so hungry.... I feed him 3x a day - different food - blood worms, flake food & plankton & brine.
he or she always goes after my chromis when he is not feeding - is normal?

williams-crist
03/17/2004, 09:06 PM
My clownfish is always ready to eat. You must be careful not to overfeed the fish. I only feed my clownfish once per day. I think you may be overfeeding your fish if you are feeding it three times per day.

Yes, it is normal for clownfish to chase after the chromis. How big is your tank? Maybe if you rearrange the rocks in your tank they will settle down. If not, you may have to find a new home for one of them.

Best of luck!

xfactor
03/17/2004, 09:10 PM
fish will eat untill they die(not sure if all will but I know as a rule).

jpmcca01
03/17/2004, 09:31 PM
A. ocellaris can be fed 2x per day safely, otherwise you run the risk of over feeding.
As for the chromis, although they are part of the damsel family, they pretty big chickens. Having only one chromis can be difficult sometimes, they do like to be in schools. I would suggest getting a couple more chromis, as long as its not pushing your fish load. Your clown will probably stop being so aggressive with more fish in the water that look like the chromis. (To many for the clown to pick on.)

flycut
03/17/2004, 09:49 PM
I think feeding 3x per day is ok if done in small amounts. Do your clown eat till their little belly is all big and blown up. Mine do. Don't forget that in there natural habitat they eat all day long. Their tummy is always full. IMO feeding 3x a day in little shots should be fine. Plus its fun to see them go at the food. I feed my ocellaris pair 3x a day: a pinch of flake in the morning, mysis shrimp for lunch and brine shrimp for super. Again in light amounts, just enough to make their tummys get a bit bigger.

Just my .02, good luck

Lyzann
03/18/2004, 10:14 AM
Hi Flycut! Thanks for your reply.
Should I get my clownfish a mate? How do you tell if they are male or female?

fastredponycar
03/18/2004, 10:35 AM
my LFS only sells clowns as mated pairs if that is any help. They say their life expectancy is greatly increased (and you get babies)

shannonbarry
03/18/2004, 11:03 AM
There is a load of info on clown fish in the clownfish forom. Clown fish change sex from no sex to male to female. There si no color difference between male and female. As far as I read there is no way to tell exactly but usualy the bigest one is the female and the little one will be the male. A clown all alone usualy developes into a female.

Just what I read but look at the Clown fish forom for more. I love my little clown babies.

Have fun watching them. I also found that they always look hungry but if you over feed the tank there will be yucky problems that happon algey and diatoms. watch out for over feading.

Shannon

stolen_pass
03/18/2004, 11:05 AM
Check out the clown forum they have great info on Sexing Clowns. From what I've read they're born sexless and will become either male or female within a year depending on whats needed. If its the only fish it will become a female. If you have a pair the largest of the two will become the female.

My girlfriend and I picked up one clown and realized we should get it a mate so we went back to the store and bought the smallest clown they had. This was done in hopes that it was young enough not to have developed a sex yet. We lucked out becuase now they're well on their way to becoming a happy mated pair.

But DEFINATELY check out the Anenome & Clown forum.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

stolen_pass
03/18/2004, 11:05 AM
heheh beat me to it :D

shannonbarry
03/18/2004, 11:23 AM
That means I read it right. You said what I did. You just spell better than I do.

Shannon

Lyzann
03/18/2004, 07:32 PM
Thanks Shannon!
Just purchased a Ocellaris (about an inch long) - but the guy at the fish store said my female (she is at least 3" long) might kill it.
Anyhow they are doing fine - I think it thinks it's mother! Also purchased an anemone for them. Thanks for recommending the clownfish forum.
Best regards, Lynn

shannonbarry
03/19/2004, 08:35 AM
You are verry welcom, Lynn. Watch your clowns for that submissive behavior. You will probibly see it. If your littlest one has not developed a sex to be female they'll most likely get along fine.
That is how I understood it any how.Enjoy them
Shannon