PDA

View Full Version : Hows this for a 37 gal FOWLR?

Winzzy
03/17/2004, 04:57 PM
Yellow Watchman Goby (w/shrimp)- Cryptocentrus cinctus
Blue Chromis - Chromis cyaneus
Orchid Dottyback - Pseudochromis fridmani or Neon Dottyback - Pseudochromis aldabraensis

Are all these fish compatible? Also I like the idea of having three blue chromis with the watchman goby as well, would that be ok, or would they turn on each other?
What about bioload, would 3 chromis and goby be to much?

Planning on having 40-50lbs LR, lots-o-snails and crabs, and non-argonite sand (hey its free!).

This is a FOWLR not a reef.

Thanks,
Tim
a.k.a. The guy who has given up on keeping an angel fish

LJ23
03/17/2004, 05:07 PM
That would work out.

Yellow Watchman Goby, 3x Blue Chromis , and a Orchid Dottyback.

Hope you have a skimmer.

-Nick

crzy4reefs
03/17/2004, 06:07 PM
you can do the chromis goby and dotty back. is this a new tank or a tank that has already cycled? if it has already cycled then just add the fish slowly. also it is best to QT the fish to make sure they are healthy. a 10 gal tank that has pvc pipe for them to hide in and a simply hood and light and filter work great....and usually a lower salinity of around 1.018 or something like that. good luck with the fish

Winzzy
03/17/2004, 06:19 PM
New tank not set up yet...

the plan is to use base rock 20-30 lbs, and seed the base rock with 20 lbs of good quality LR. was planning on waiting a good 3-4 months for tank to age, maybe adding snails and shrimp first.

Aiming for a 4" dsb, which will be seeded with LS from various local club members tanks.

Any tips on how to go about this?
Tips on which fish to add first etc...

I am very new to hobby.

The equipment I have is a 37 gallon tank, seaclone skimmer (modified, still not the best but better than nothing), maxi jets (900 and 1200), and a fluval 204.

Any continued help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

crzy4reefs
03/17/2004, 06:22 PM
if your going to stick to those 3 fish you choose then

1. chromis
2. goby
3. dotty back

also once the tank cycled. you add your clean up crew. keep check on the water condition, ammonia, nitrite,nitrate,ph thing like that. if thats fine you can add the fish slowly. best of luck.

Winzzy
03/17/2004, 07:10 PM
Ok I saw at dr fosters and smith that the blue chromis should be keep in groups 3+,

Is there a way to safely introduce a group of 3 chromis to a 37 gal tank without stressing the bioload system?

Also Would a blue devil be ok with the dottyback and watchman goby? If so I will just go for the devil.

Thanks,
Tim

crzy4reefs
03/17/2004, 07:13 PM
are you saying you want a blue devil instead of the chromis? yes chromis like to be in schools you can add them first let them be in the tank for a few weeks and if everything is 0 you can add the next fish. if you decide to go with the blue damsel i would only get one since they can become aggressive as they get older.

Winzzy
03/17/2004, 07:17 PM
but would it attack the other fish is what I am worried about...

crzy4reefs
03/17/2004, 07:20 PM
i have a blue devil and it's fine with my other fish....i think or at least read that they become aggressive with their own kind. personally if i had to do it all again i would have gone with the blue chromis

Winzzy
03/17/2004, 07:24 PM
can you elaberate why? I like the color of the devils better than chromis, but i dont to over stock or have a fish that picks on other fish...

Also if I have a dottyback and a blue devil, which should I ask first. Both are considered aggresive...