PDA

View Full Version : Advice on this guy please

Newker
03/17/2004, 04:11 PM
After describing this guy to my LFS, they advised me to get rid of it, could someone confirm if I should do so ?
Tank is about 3 weeks old now, the tank is empty, apart from a few Turbo snails and a couple of shrimps. (LS and LS aside).

As it stands, he is sat in the front corner of the tank and seems quite happy, he even survived through the worst of the cycling.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/53627friendorfoe.JPG

Thanks

LJ23
03/17/2004, 04:24 PM
It looks fine to me. Shouldn't cause any problems. As long as you have sufficient lighting, it should do fine.

Looks to me like an anenome..

-Nick

brians_224
03/17/2004, 05:38 PM
I'm thinkin' this is a Aiptasia Anemone. They are considered a nuiscance. I got one too, not as big. I've heard they can spread. There's alot of posts out there about them. Seems to be 101 ways to get rid of them - check out www.joesjuice.com.

After saying all that, I could be wrong too.

HTH

LJ23
03/17/2004, 05:41 PM
That looks like a pretty big "aiptasia" anenome.. and since I've never had one, I really don't know.

-Nick

Vincerama2
03/17/2004, 05:58 PM
Might not be aptaisia, post to a different forum, more experienced aiptaisa warriors will know.

Not sure my aiptaisia had those spots, nor where the tentacles that thick and dense.

V

jamison
03/17/2004, 05:59 PM
Absolutely aptasia! I kept mine around for a while in the beginning because it gave me something to look at. It turned into about 20 in 6 weeks. My peppermint shrimp took care of it all for me in about 3 days. Haven't seen one since. You'll be doing yourslef a favor getting rid of it now.

coyoteseven
03/18/2004, 10:59 AM
I don't think it's an aiptasia (too many tentacles it appears), but definitely some kind of tube anemone.

Before you nuke it, why not run your pic(s) by Dr. Ron (http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40) ? Afterall, wouldn't it be a pity to kill off something if it's not harmful?

Colecanth
03/18/2004, 12:29 PM
What is the size of the Anemone?

Identification based upon a single picture can be very difficult. The picture appears similar to thishttp://www.wetwebmedia.com/Cnidarians/Anthozoans/AnemonePIX/Aiptasia.jpg

I don't believe it's a tube Anemone since it appears to lack a tube and is attached to rock. I believe that tube Anemones are sand dwellers and usually have a tube:)

This site may offer some help in your identification efforts.
FAQs on Anemone (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/anemonef.htm)

shearwater
03/18/2004, 01:19 PM
Tagging along... I'm interested in the verdict on this guy... I have something similar... a bit more orange in color, about 1/2" in diameter. It pulls back quickly into the rock when disturbed...

jango
03/20/2004, 11:55 AM
yup thats aiptasia, you will probably want to get rid of that

xxaquanutxx
03/20/2004, 12:18 PM
I donno... it seems to be pretty big for aptasia... and soo many tentacles... You should post the pic in the clownfish&anemone forum. There you can get a positive ID for sure. Good Luck and Let us know what it is!

xxaquanutxx
03/20/2004, 12:18 PM
I donno... it seems to be pretty big for aptasia... and soo many tentacles... You should post the pic in the clownfish&anemone forum. There you can get a positive ID for sure. Good Luck and Let us know what it is!

GreyhoundMama
03/20/2004, 12:25 PM
Looks like aptasia to me too. They're generally considered "weeds" of reef tanks and can really spread over time. I'm a rebel, however, and feel that if you don't intend to keep any corals, and just want a fish only tank, they could add some visual interest. :)

VenturaSteve
03/20/2004, 12:42 PM
The tentacles look too big for an aptasia, but i've only seen small ones. Get a peppermint shrimp, and see if it chomps it up. I had one small one in the middle of a clump of star pollyps, got a pep., and the next day the aptasia was gone. Maybe I just got lucky.