PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a sump?

LongShanks
03/17/2004, 03:58 PM
Asking all of you experts out there ..... Do I really need a sump? My space is really limited on the tank I plan on implementing.

A run down on tank thoughts are as follows:

29 Gallon tank
Aqua C remora with MJ 1200 & skmmer box
250w Heater
Hamilton tech pendant 250w HQI w/10k bulb
2 maxi-jet 600's for circulation

Also another question is what kind of filtration I need; like an Ehieim 2213 for this setup?

TY in advance for feedback :D

aquaman67
03/17/2004, 04:24 PM
You don't need a sump and you don't need a filter either. You can use live rock as the filter.

DaveJohnson
03/17/2004, 04:25 PM
Do you need a sump? No. Are there benefits of having one? Yep.

For filtration I'd use 30-50 lbs of live rock, though the canister is good for running carbon, phosphate sponge, etc as needed.

What I would be more concerned about is heat from a 250W MH over less than 29 gallons of water (29 gal tank minus space for substate, rock, prefilter, etc) Heat may be a problem for you though you should be able to have some really cool corals, clams, etc in there with that pendant.

I'd also expect your evap rate to be quite high with that light so you'll probably be topping off daily (you may need to use fans on the water surface to encourage evaportion to cool the tank)

Sounds like a really nice setup you're planning and I hope heat from the MH doesn't become a problem. Of course you can raise the pendant quite a bit, but then you've got less light penetration, etc. Should be fun to experiment with! :)

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

LJ23
03/17/2004, 04:29 PM
No sump needed, but I'd go with a 24" CPR Aquafuge, if you could handle that. Only 4" wide, 12" tall and 24" wide.

I love mine!

-Nick

LongShanks
03/18/2004, 09:46 AM
Thx all for the quick responses :)

jdallred
03/18/2004, 10:41 AM
If you have the room, do a sump. If you don’t have the room do the HOB Nick suggested. I run a 20gal sps tank and run a 12 1/2 gal sump/fuge. The problem w/a nano or a smaller tank is water volume. When you have less volume the slightest change in the environment will affect the tank and the corals. Plus a sump is a great way to get all of the equipment out of your display. Also gives you an area to add top off water as well as anything you might dose, giving it time to mix before hitting the display. There are many good reasons to add a sump to your system. I always see people replying not to add a sump and/or fuge, but I never see anyone posting reasons why.

I run mh over mine w/no problems w/heat, although my light is a 175 watt mogul base (less heat produced than HQI).

LJ23
03/18/2004, 12:27 PM
I second what Joe said.. nice response.

-Nick

irishpete
03/18/2004, 12:33 PM
I have a sump and the benifits are; hide the life-support (clean looking, no hang-on crap except for overflow, unless you drill), built-in refugium (once again, out of sight) MORE WATER, you increase the ammount of water flowing giving yourself a little bit bigger margin for error. plus the little benefits of always have a set level of water in the tank and evaportation only shows in the sump, can add additives to sump, and adds good circulation of water.

just my 2cents tho