PDA

View Full Version : drilling acrylic tanks?

sssquake
03/17/2004, 01:30 PM
Hi, can I use regular drill bits for drilling acrylic? I am trying to make a internal overflow box. Also, I read that I should use #16 cement for that as well. Is this correct? :confused: Thanks.

mhurley
03/17/2004, 03:00 PM
Yes, you can use regular bits....Have a spray bottle of water handy to make sure you keep the acrylic cool, don't want it to heat up and melt. I cut all my own holes in my previous acrylic tank, used regular wood hole saw bits.

Weld-On 16 is the thick solvent. Weld-on 3 and 4 is the very liquidy one, basically like alcohol and evaporates quickly. With 3/4 you can make perfect seams with no trace of glue because it's so thin, it simply binds the acrlyic, the rest evaporates. 16 I use for reinforcing corners that I sealed with 3/4, I run a bead of the stuff down the corner. Imagine silicon sealant on a glass aquarium along the edges, but perfectly clear when it dries.

You can use either really...Personally, the 16 is easier to work with if you never done acrylic work before. Plus the fumes from 3 and 4 can really knock you loopy.

Mike