PDA

View Full Version : live sand

greerh
03/17/2004, 12:13 PM
I'm still in the researching faze of the marine fish things. I'm wanting to set up a FO possible FOWLR tank to start with(75-120gallon something with a 4ft footprint). Is it beneficial to have a deep sand bed (4 in??) in a tank of this kind with or without live rock?
So if live sand is a good idea can I get it from the creek? The substrate is a nice fine grain stand and the water feeds directly from the atlantic. Or can I use this sand then get other sand to seed it with?
Thanks
Heather

markdt
03/17/2004, 01:12 PM
I do not think you want to get sand out of the creek. Because any live animals will die because you are putting the sand in a marien tank. I do not know anything you can seed a sand bed. Also if you do a deep sand bed there is a good chance it will have to be replaced in about 5 years. I have just bought play sand and I do not do a deep sand bed. I use a refuge system with live sand so when I have to replace it is easer to replace and does not cost as much.

greerh
03/17/2004, 02:55 PM
The creek has has salt water in it .... I'm adding salt water to the tank why will the stuff in the SAND die ???
Even if there is some die off as long as I let the tank cycle before adding fish shouldn't that be ok???

(My critter tank on the porch has sand from the creek, local shrimp, fish ect and I just change about 20 gallons of creek water once a week . I haven't noticed any problems.)

mobius9oo
03/17/2004, 03:06 PM
A marine tank is a lot more gentle to changes than your critter tank.