PDA

View Full Version : i need help with lighting

cadd
03/17/2004, 11:35 AM
what type of light will i need for a saltwater tank if i a going to keep coral and what (watt) should it be.as i was told you can't ue your light out of freshwater tanks

:)

bluetropic
03/17/2004, 11:43 AM
You can use it, you just may have to add to it.(more lights, different bulbs) There are all kinds of answers, its easiest to search around and see what others are using and the pros and cons of each.(like cost, heat, etc.) For my 70gal, I am going to get 4 vho's(48") They are a high output flourecent, 110w each, as I do not have the desire to step up to Metal Halides. I guess you would need 4-5watts per gallon, but that is a poor way to measure because some lights are more efficiant. (more light per watt). Like I said, your best bet is to read up on it (others threads) and make a decsion for whats best for you.

SandFlea
03/17/2004, 11:44 AM
What size of tank do you have? What is the height of the tank? Will need to know these specifications. What type of coral do you intend on keeping?

cadd
03/17/2004, 11:47 AM
hi i am geting a 4 foot tank in length not sure of he height

and i dont know what type of coral to keep

Mariner
03/17/2004, 11:58 AM
Here's a good read on lighting options and basics
http://wetwebmedia.com/marine/setup/lighting/fixtures.htm
and another
http://wetwebmedia.com/marcanopies.htm
Basically, you need to research the corals and inverts you want to keep, determine their lighting needs and make sure you get enough light to meet those needs. You can use several regular fluorescent lights for corals needing low to medium light, VHO flourescents or PC fluorescents for corals needing low to medium-high light, and Metal Halide for corals needing low to very high light (low light corals often have to be place away from direct MH light or shielded from it).
HTH,
Mariner

cadd
03/17/2004, 12:04 PM
is there not a light which suits needs for all corals

i guess not but its worth a try

Mariner
03/17/2004, 12:07 PM
You can keep about anything with MH lighting, IF you take care to place the lower light corals at the bottom of the tank, under rock ledges, etc. You're most limited in what you can keep with regular fluourescents, least limited with MH.
HTH,
Mariner

cadd
03/17/2004, 12:24 PM
how much does hm lighting cost in the uk though