PDA

View Full Version : Surface scum

SHOmuchFUN
03/17/2004, 08:42 AM
It looks like I have an oily layer at the top of my water. It's cohesive like an oil, but is a darker brown color and looks like it has some detritus stuck in it or something. I'm trying to figure out a way to get it out. I know that I could use a surface skimmer, this would work right? But that means I'd have to put that huge, god-ugly thing inside my tank. I also have a pre-filter overflow, that I'm eventually going to use for a sump.

But I don't have those setup now, so I'm curious if there's anything else I can do? I previously only ran my skimmer during 10-12hrs a day, I now have it running 24/7, and I've also aimed some powerhead flow towards the surface to agitate it a bit, but I don't know how much this is helping.

What causes this and what can I do to take it off? It's not REALLY bad, but I'm a little concerned whether it's affecting light penetration.

Thank you!

ottbucks
03/17/2004, 09:08 AM
I had the same problem. Directing a power head towards the surface seemed to help. Although it still took a few days before I really noticed any difference.

nanocat
03/17/2004, 10:41 AM
You can also use the paper towel method. Drag it across the surface and lift, and it should remove some of the scum. Powerhead to break up the surface tension is a better long term solution.

jnb
03/17/2004, 11:35 AM
The other day I dealt with this - got a small pitcher and pressed it down slowly until the top was almost at water level - keep pressing down and the top level water will rush in bringing most of the surface scum with it

jay24k
03/17/2004, 12:28 PM
Surface skimmer like the remora doesn't work at all. It was worse with it. The problem is, the remora pulls from the top and the bottom. Considering the input part is closer to the bottom, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where the water is going to be mainly pulled from. Worst 30 bucks I ever spent.

hdtran
03/17/2004, 01:32 PM
I occassionally form an ugly film on the surface (looks like floating diatoms and oil), despite having PH's pointed upwards. That's a signal for me to retune my surface skimming box on my protein skimmer. I use a fine mesh net to drag out as much gunk as I can, then, adjust water levels (and clean skimmer if needed). You have to make sure that the water flows over the overflow grate, and down into the skimmer pump. Then, it concentrates the brown film in the skimmer.

When I do that, the film is generally gone in less than one day.

wooglin
03/17/2004, 02:46 PM
Ah, the benifits of a reef ready. That goes away. I had it on my 30 before I upgraded to the 75RR, and its much better now.

ShY
03/17/2004, 03:17 PM
I used to have this problem till i switched to a sump with overflow. It took care of my problem in like 45 secs and i never got surface skim anymore. So when u have the proper equipment i would switch to a sump i did and i'll never look back.