PDA

View Full Version : live rock help

gguertin
03/17/2004, 03:20 AM
ok well first off I was listening to the lfs when I did all this and did not do the research I should have before hand but I am hoping I can find a way to fix this. I have a 30 gallon tank with a skilter (lfs said it would work) it is the bigger one supposed to work up to a 55 gallon tank and 40 lbs of live sand. I have had the tank up and running for 4 weeks and was buying another piranha and got talked into getting a clown fish for my saltwater tank. well I told the guy that I didnt have the money for the live rock yet and wouldnt for a couple of weeks and he said it would be ok till then? well the clown doesnt have anywhere to hide and sits at the top of the tank but he eats good so I guess he is doing ok. I was nervous to go and spend all the money on the rock till I new that something would live in the tank too. well i got a good deal on 60 lbs of live fiji rock off the internet tonight and want to go and pick it up tmw but heard that my ammonia or something is going to get really high and kill the fish? Is there a way to add the rock without killing the fish? and will t skilter work it may not be the best but its only a 30 gallon and i have another filter if i need it so it just needs to be the protein skimmer?

zrograviti
03/17/2004, 03:34 AM
When I didn't know anything I put in 6 fish all at once on the first day in a 10 gal tank. Yeah, tell me about it. Anyhow, all died but both of false clown made through and still alive and healthy. I am not suggesting that you should just leave them in there, but they are pretty tough. That being said, you can use that other 30 gal with filter and do water change as often as you can. Oviously that 30 gal tank won't even go through cycle but it will keep your fish for the next 1-2 months until your main tank is established. Better yet, if you can get used seaclone 100 for a very cheap price, you can use that on your 30 Gal. Although seaclone are not all that good skimmer, it's great for a QT setup. You'll need a QT later anyways.

gguertin
03/17/2004, 03:39 AM
alright this is going to sound stupid to you but ive had the tank up for 4 weeks without live rock if i get the live rock and i belive this stuff was supposed to be good it said fiji premium cured and has growth all over it and stuff i will still need to wait 2 months to add fish? also i did not get a new tank still talking just the 30 I can prolly find a lil 10 gallon though? running really low on money right now though just got 60 lbs of live rock. Also do I have to have a certain kind of light for the live rock or will just any light work?

zrograviti
03/17/2004, 03:57 AM
did you do any water test recently? waste from fish should have had or expect amonia spike soon. If the rock is in real good condition and added to a well established tank, there might not even be any noticable amonia spike. I think you will probably have some spike. better the rock is less of spike you will have. I suggest to do water tests and when amonia hits too high setup another 10 Gal tank. I'll still be looking at 1-2 months. going through the first cycle right now and another small one when you add LR.
You have test kit right now right? If you don't you need Amonia (NH4), NO2, NO3.

gguertin
03/17/2004, 03:59 AM
well that sucks! thanks for the help ill have to figure out something to do with that clown? so you dont think he would make it through all that then?