PDA

View Full Version : BTA Health Question...

JimCali75
03/17/2004, 02:40 AM
Just got a Neon BTA a couple of days ago and noticed today that some of the bubbles are partially white in color. To be honest I can't remember if it was that way when I got him. I was to excited at my Maroon taking to it so fast. It's brownish-dark green with neon green tips. Is this just part of the coloring or do they turn white when sick? Also are Silversides good for feeding?
Thanks for the input :)

DaveC
03/17/2004, 05:56 AM
It could be that it is starting to bleach....I have a couple because mine split, one of them moved down into a corner behind my overflow and stayed there...he is healthy and growing, but has turned completely white I am guessing from no lighting gets to him, but he eats fine, expands fine....the parent is between a brown and green color.....I just let him be as sometimes anemones know what is best for them, I just make sure I feed him like twice a week and he does fine....for some reason my maroon who bounces back and forth between them likes to nibble at the bubble tips which causes the bta's to retract...the little bastard...

DaveC

xfactor
03/17/2004, 07:36 PM
sound like the released there phyto(I think its phyto), which is bad, all you can do is give it time.

yep Silver Sides are good for feeding.

what kind of lighting and current do you have in your tank?

JimCali75
03/18/2004, 12:55 PM
It's a 12 gal Nano Cube. It uses a power compact. I've never heard of phyto. What is it? Thanks

jdallred
03/18/2004, 03:31 PM
Usually when an anemone turns white it is because it losses its zooanthelae. It sounds like yours is isolated to just a few bubbles, could be from the tissue stretching. I would just keep watching it and make sure you give it what it needs. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

xfactor
03/18/2004, 03:37 PM
zooanthellae is what its called. If your Anemone survives it will get it back, if it's being fed properly.

JimCali75
03/18/2004, 05:22 PM
Thanks for your info. I'm thinking it may be close to splitting. Looks to have to "feet" if thats what you call them. Is there a trick to getting a BTA to stay put. It' tends to cruz the back of the tank. So half the time I can't see it or my maroon clown. Frustrating creatures :-)

jdallred
03/18/2004, 06:02 PM
IME the best way to control their movement is to set up a place that has good lighting, good rock w/crevasse/cracks, and medium flow. If you want to specifically move it to somewhere or away from something use a small power head and direct the flow toward it. Make sure the power head is not to strong as it could injure the anemone.

xfactor
03/18/2004, 07:05 PM
what jdallred said, but remember it might never stay where you want it, cause its going to move where it wants to be at.

JimCali75
03/20/2004, 01:38 AM
Will a BTA do ok if the boot is touching the substrate or does it have to be rock? Thanks