PDA

View Full Version : noisy overflow

bepe
03/16/2004, 09:50 PM
I had trouble with a noisy overflow on my Oceanic 90 gal 'reef ready' tank (ha). I installed a durso and it helped for a while, but now I'm getting a sound similar to a toilet flushing every few seconds, as if the chamber is emptying, filling up to a set point and then emptying again. I've tried fooling around with the air intake but can't seem to get it right. Does anyone have any advice on adjusting these and quieting an overflow in general.

RJSorensen
03/16/2004, 10:01 PM
Check the depth of the drian into your sump for the problem. I would guess it is deeper than a couple of inches below the water surface. Get it one to two inches below your static water level . . . then adjust the air flow and you will be fine.

bepe
03/17/2004, 12:15 PM
Thanks, that's very helpful. Do you have any thoughts on how to adjust the airflow. It has a hole drilled in the cap on the top. I tried using a straw, but that didn't seem a very elegant solution.

Andy

rcraig
03/17/2004, 12:31 PM
I know this sounds simple, but I placed a bio ball over the drain pipe and presto my "toilet flushing noise" was gone. I had to try a few different angles, but it was a great recommendation from another RC member.

lilbuddy
03/17/2004, 01:54 PM
when i built my dursos i used a venture tube from a maxi jet to regulate the air flow... see pic below...
http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v73/lilbuddy/standpipes.jpg

bepe
03/17/2004, 04:15 PM
These are great suggestions. Thanks!

ArchAngel
03/18/2004, 12:39 AM
I attached a 1/2" ball valve to the top of my dursos.

RJSorensen
03/18/2004, 01:11 AM
I drilled and taped for 1/8 inch pipe and used a ball valve as well. Interesting combinations of air and slurp in the sump via the amount of valve opening and depth of drain pipe into the sump.

You could get a Ph.D. on the study of these, lol, I am sure some one already has?

LarryS
03/18/2004, 02:39 AM
Hello all:

If you don't mind me jumping in with a related question, the noise I have is the water running down the drain pipe. Not the flushing or gurgling sound, but just the sound of water running down the pipe - like its a mixture of air and water. I already have a cap with a 1/8" hole on top of my drain pipe. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize that kind of noise?