PDA

View Full Version : Water evaporation & topping off question

ronhjr
03/16/2004, 09:42 PM
Is it ok, that my aquarium looses about a gallon of water every day or two due to evaporation, and I just keep topping it off with RO water ( no Salt) and keep
on doing so, and doing no real water changes?
Does the salt in the aquarium go bad, since it never get
removed with water changes?

Ron
ronhjr@rcn.com

bertoni
03/16/2004, 09:52 PM
Topping off a gallon a day is fine.

Most people do water changes. Doing a top-off doesn't count. The salt doesn't go bad, but various chemicals can build up in the water and make unsafe for animals.

As far as how often to do water changes, there are lots of opinions. 10% per month, 10% per week, 20% once a month, etc.

I change about 25% every couple of months, but I don't keep animals that are very delicate.

speccialj922
03/16/2004, 09:53 PM
keep an eye on your salt levels. salt does not evaporate, but as you can see it will attatch to parts outside of the tank (salt creep). so to make a long story short, use ro (or rodi) and add small amounts of salt as needed.

xfactor
03/17/2004, 07:39 PM
Salt won't evaperate so adding water directly back into the tank just brings your salt level back to where it was before it evaped. However there are other things that will take salt out of the water like a skimmer. So always keep an eye on your levels.

Salt in the tank wont go bad, but doing water changes is always a good idea.