PDA

View Full Version : New Refugium

Huggyjd
03/16/2004, 08:50 PM
I just switched out my wet dry and put in a fuge. Its been runnung for a week now. It has a 2 inch sandbed and i seeded the tank with caulerpa(not the right spelling) anyway, my tank is kinda cloudy. It has never been cloudy until now. Is it the fuge?What can i do to clear it up?

bertoni
03/16/2004, 09:15 PM
Some more information would be useful.

What are your water parameters? Did you cycle the refugium before plumbing it to your tank? Did the wet-dry have bioballs in it?

Huggyjd
03/16/2004, 09:30 PM
The wet dry had about 10 bio balls in it. I removed 95% of them . I had a huge piece of live rock in my wet dry that i put in the fuge. Basically, The sump was nothing more then a mechanical filter because of the blue filter media that trapped debris. I did not cycle the fuge.I added 2" of new live sand and that live rock and some caulerpa plugs. My tank is a 75 gal with 4" of live sand and 100# of live rock. Water paremeters are great! The cloudiness is a white color.

bertoni
03/16/2004, 09:33 PM
I suspect it's just some "dust" from the sand in the refugium. It should disappear in a few days. Personally, I'd just watch the water quality a bit and wait.

If the water doesn't clear up in 4-5 days, I'd suspect a bacterial bloom. You could post another thread at that point.

bertoni
03/16/2004, 09:34 PM
Rereading your post, has the water been cloudy the whole week?

Huggyjd
03/16/2004, 09:39 PM
It got cloudy in 12 hours time. it just started this morning. Ive had the fuge running for 5 days.

bertoni
03/16/2004, 09:47 PM
Hmm, well, the refugium likely is cycling. Personally, I'd just wait a few days and see. Do you have any animals that are in trouble?

If the cloudiness isn't gone in a few days, I'd try some UV.

Huggyjd
03/16/2004, 09:50 PM
The animals are great! No problem at all. I do not have a uv but i'm getting one very shortly. Ive heard good and bad about uv. I put the fuge in for natural filtration and growing pods. I hear the uv will kill the pods.

bertoni
03/16/2004, 09:53 PM
You won't want to run the UV permanently, because it'll kill small animals that go through it.

If it were my tank and all the animals were doing fine, I'd just wait, myself. If I saw signs of stress, I'd disconnect the refugium and work from there.