PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Gobies???

jayke
03/16/2004, 08:37 PM
I just can't seem to keep Gobies. Over the course of 5 months I have bought 2 yellow watchman and 1 gold headed sleeper. All have died within 1-2 days (all bought seperately at least a month apart).

My Tank Param: 72 Gallon tank, skimmer and live rock
NH3/NH4 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 2.5 - 5.0
Temp = 78-79 F
SG = 1.023 - 1.024
pH = 8.3

My acclimation proceedure:
1. Float bag for 30 minutes
2. Then remove 1/2 cup bag water replace with 1/2 cup tank
water every 15 minutes for an hour.
3. Net fish and release quickly in tank
4. Total time = about 1hr 45min

Other inhabitants:
1. Coral Beauty
2. 2-Green Chromis'
3. 6 Line Wrasse
4. Osc. Clown
5. Cleaner Shrimp
6. Zoo's, Leather and mushrooms

Why are they dying? The only theory I have is the fact that I have a crushed coral substrate versus fine sand. As they sift, maybe the larger gravel is choking them out? I'm not sure. I know I will probably never get one again. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Jay

bertoni
03/16/2004, 08:54 PM
My yellow watchman gobies survived crushed coral just fine.

Your acclimation procedure is rather long. I just float for 15 minutes, then add water at 15 minute intervals, and release within about an hour. If you have a refractometer, you can measure the water in the bag and make a plan. I have no idea whether that's the problem, though.

Do the animals disappear? Get ripped up? Die with no externals signs of injury?

chem-e
03/16/2004, 08:59 PM
How much live rock do you have? When I first got my goby, it hid for a little while to adjust to its new environment. Could it be that it didn't have anywhere to hide and just stressed out to the point of dying or got picked on till death?

FishDude16
03/16/2004, 09:06 PM
It sounds like stress related if theres not a sign of an external damage. Crushed coral substrate would not kill them. The fish has a "filter" inside of its mouth that would not let the larger peices go down. In fact any pieces. Its either stress, or something is harrassing it to the point of death. Try an hour acclimation not as long as you have been doing. Make shure he has somewhere to hide too. Your water paremeters look good.

jayke
03/16/2004, 10:38 PM
I don't think anything picked on it, my fish aren't too aggressive. As for live rock, I have about 45 pounds, maybe more arranged with plenty of caves. Just seem to have bad luck with the gobies. The other fish are fine, including the coral beauty which is prone to stress and ich.

The sleeper I just bought hid underneath the rock in a cave it dug itself for 2 days. I came home today and just saw it rolling across the bottom.

chem-e
03/16/2004, 11:56 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that I usually quarantine a new fish for a few weeks in a small 10 gal tank that I have laying around. Sometimes it's not your fault because the fish may have been sick already.

jayke
03/17/2004, 12:10 PM
Other than the fish that the cleaner shrimp was eating, the gobies did not appear to have been attacked. I like them, but will most likely not try to keep them again. With that said, what are some recommendations for other fish, that would be compatible with the fish listed above? I know that is a broad question, but would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
Jay

bertoni
03/17/2004, 02:50 PM
This book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890087386/reeflink/102-4211263-5623336) is great for stocking ideas.

jamison
03/17/2004, 03:32 PM
jayke,
How old is your tank? Crushed coral is just fine, but one thing you must keep in mind is that your sand bed must have enough "critters" in it to sustain the life of your Goby. They do well with live sand. Your crushed coral will become live sand over time, but if it is new, it is quite possible that your gobies are starving to death. Unfortunately, I feel your pain only too well. I lost a really nice Tiger Goby that way. I have crushed coral too and he went around the tank sifting all day, but only lasted about 2 or 3 days before he died. Wish I would have known about that earlier. I may try again in a few more months. Best of luck! Anthias or a Fairy Wrasse would go well with what you've got if your not ready for another Goby.