PDA

View Full Version : My jawfish...

DrMilhouse
03/16/2004, 07:32 PM
I love my jawfish, he's the coolest. Hopefully he's still around. I've only had him about 2 weeks. I've seen him a little bit in that time. He moves from time to time to new holes. For about 4 days, I hadn't seen him at all, hadn't seen any new sand piles from him making a new home. I was beginning to get concerned but just figured he'd made a home somewhere in the back that I couldn't see. Well, last night I found him.

in my sump, fighting to near exhaustion to stay out of the return pump. He looked really worn out, but I scooped him out in a rush, he didn't even flounder in my hand. :( I put him back in the main tank where he went to the bottom and hid under a rock for a while. This was at about 530am. I didn't have time to check on him before I came to work today. I hope he'll be alright. I guess he just made a trip over the overflow. Good thing he didn't choose the pipe that goes to the skimmer.

Anyway, some other behavior I've seen of this guy is that he doesn't sleep in his hole. He sleeps out ON the sand bed, curled up in a ball. More than once I've thought that he was dead, just to shine a light on him to see him breathing and then wake up and start looking for a place to hide. Have other's seen this behavior with their jawfish?

Thanks!
Mike

jdallred
03/16/2004, 07:55 PM
Hey Doc, my Yellow Watchman does the same thing. For a while she would go up underneath my Monti Cap and sleep but now she just crashes outside of her favorite hole on the sand.

herefishyfishy2
03/17/2004, 09:18 AM
Our Blue spot jawfish went into our overflow and into the sump numerous times until I figured out what he was doing. I placed some of the plastic gutter guard from Home Depot on the backside of the over-flow slats.......and he was still getting into the overflow and eventually into the sump. So, one night I watched the little devil actually slip between the top of the tank and the overflow.....I mean this is like an 1/8" gap. I wouldn't have thought he could fit. I then plugged that up with some filter foam and he has stayed in the main tank for 6 months now. HTH